TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have herd that autozone caries a 2 core radiator for our cars so I had to check it out. I had them pull up the listings on a 95 v8 bird. They did not have a picture of it but they list 2 radiators for the v8. The first one it says single core for 148.99 and the second one it list for 259.99 but dose not list weather it is a double core. I would assume that it is since it has a seperate part number. The part number for the one that might be thicker at autozone is 432613

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
The all aluminum Cobra radiator and shroud is a lot cheaper than $530, and is a sweet unit. It's thicker and has a much larger cooling area:

It has a six blade fan:

And when it's installed, it looks factory:

The only down side is that there is no trans cooler in the radiator, but the radiator trans coolers are weak and we normally suggest to everyone to get an outside cooler anyway... this would force you to do something that is an improvement anyway...

I am, and all the other guys I know that swapped them in are, very happy with the Cobra unit. They are thicker, but still thin enough to leave clearance for blowers and plumbing, if you have that on your mind.

What are the dimensions of the two different autozone choices. I ask that because Rockauto has replacement radiators ranging in price from $128 to $216 and none are "dual core"... they are all essentially OEM, one is just more expensive than the next...

Check to be sure the cheaper autozone rad has the trans cooler.. it appears that the cheaper Rockauto's may not.. it's hard to tell though...

But if that $259 rad is in fact a dual core... except for the plastic side tanks, it sounds like a winner..

-mike

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
mn12xr7 said:
does the 03 cobra radiator fit on the 5.0s and 3.8s???
Sorry, I can't answer those questions.. the only guy I know that swapped em on did on 4.6's..

You might try posting the 3.8 and 5.0 questions in the 5.0 and 3.8 Forums.. maybe someone has tried it there.

The Cobra has a 4.6 engine with 32 valves... so it's essentially the same as the 4.6 in our cars... Do the OEM 4.6 LX radiators swap into the 5.0 and 3.8??? if so, the Cobra should, I would think....

How many CFMs does that e-fan blow? is it more than the mark viii fan??
Can't answer that either, but Dan Newman might be able to give you the numbers. If they exist somewhere, he can probably find them..

Since they put that fan on the Cobra, and not the MK VIII fan, my instincts tell me that it probably blows at least as much... If it didn't why would they redesign and tool up for a part that wouldn't work as well.. especially in a high performance application... I also suppose it's a fitment issue.. the MK fan will probably not fit the Cobra radiator.. I know the LX fans won't without major fabrication and modification and then does not cover as much of the fin area because the LX cooling area is significantly smaller...

-mike

·
Registered
798 Posts
Personally i don't see why the Cobra Rad wouldn't swap into a 94 up 3.8. Since it's not the motor that holds the radiator, it's the actual radiator mounts on the car. I doubt the mounts changed any between the 3.8/4.6

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
im not sure what FoMoCo jacked up the price to on the 03 Cobra radiator, but I checked with radiator.com and they quoted me about 150$ for the radiator.

joseph

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
The Great Obucina said:
im not sure what FoMoCo jacked up the price to on the 03 Cobra radiator
joseph
I think Scott, Chadg and I all lucked out, after that I don't know, either. I'll check to see if they are in the FRPP catalogue when I get home and see what the list is..

I rember I got the shroud for about $100 "back in the day" (like a last July)... you gotta get the shroud, too 'cause the stock won't work.. if they jacked the rad, they probably jacked the shroud too...

You need to get the plug for the harness too, but that's probably still not too bad.. Dan knows the PN, and I think I may have posted the wiring color codes, but if not I can get em... I think I have some pix of the wiring too...

-mike

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I have done this swap as well, and it was a few months ago. This is the price for the rad., fan, and pigtail that I got from Dan-- $351.73 + shipping. I live in MO, so ground shipping wasn't much. Think I ended up at about $400~ish at the end. All in all, I have yet to see the temp needle go past the "O" in normal, and it usually sits between the N and O. It's been pretty hot and humid here the last few days, and I went out and ran it hard for a few miles (anywhere from 80-85mph), and all the time had the A/C on. I came into some standstill traffic, and sat for about 10 min. during that run. Needle never moved, and all I heard when I rolled down the window to check out the reason for being stopped, was the fan kicking on cooling her down. That fan seems to put out more air flow than the stock version. No proof tho, just looks lke steeper pitch on the blades. I'm happy w/ my upgrade, that and it looks pimp.:D

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
guitar maestro said:
wouldnt it still have the plastic side tanks though?
Almost 250K miles in the horrid heat down here,and I've never had the first problem with the plastic side tanks.I like the OE fitament of the replacement radiators personally,and do not like the idea of limiting myself to an external only trans cooler.
JL

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Johnny Langton said:

Almost 250K miles in the horrid heat down here,and I've never had the first problem with the plastic side tanks.I like the OE fitament of the replacement radiators personally,and do not like the idea of limiting myself to an external only trans cooler.
JL
I had just replaced mine with an OE about 3 weeks before I put the Cobra rad in because my original cracked...

I actually pulled the new OE out and put the Cobra in 'cause my engine was running on the hot side and I thought the larger capacity and thicker and larger cooling area would help keep it cooler.. and it did.

And besides, I thought it looked really cool, and I needed validation to put Cobra badges on the side of my car, and I figured between the oil pump and the radiator, I qualified... :D

I absolutely agree that two trans coolers are better than one. After I found out about my thrust bearing getting destroyed, I read up a bit on the causes and conditions and the prevention of it happening again, and one of the things that was suggested was to run two coolers so that if one ever clogs, you can bypass it through the other cooler and prevent excess pressure and TC ballooning, which is one cause of thrust bearing failure... Obviously you have to check your in/out trans line pressure occasionally to determine if there is blockage....

-mike

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the best thing about this radiator if it has 2 cores is that you should be able to use your factory fan with out having to buy a cobra fan. I think that a stock tbird fan has 7 blades.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
If you guys are really interested I have a cobra radiator and fan and a 3.8 radiator and fan in my garage. I can take pics and get measurments tomorrow for comparison.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Johnny Langton said:

JL
Then you're a lucky one

The avg life of a radiator with plastic tanks by any manufacturer is 95-110K before the tanks start leaking

I know ALL of my parents cars ranging from mercedes to toyota have proved this industry avg many times.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
man i've got to stop replying to these threads....my OE radiator just took a crap this morning on my way to work.....so i had to buy the autozone one, because i can't afford any downtime at all......but needless to say, the cobra radiator is going in very soon, and the autozone junk is coming out

anyone need an autozone OE replacement radiator w/ less than 100 mi on it?? :)

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
chadr said:

Then you're a lucky one

The avg life of a radiator with plastic tanks by any manufacturer is 95-110K before the tanks start leaking

I know ALL of my parents cars ranging from mercedes to toyota have proved this industry avg many times.
Wife's '98 F-150=143K miles..no leaks
Friend's '94 Tbird=just over 100K miles...no leaks
Daughter's '95 Tbird=128K miles...no leaks
Maybe it's just proper maintenance that keeps them alive-but I doubt it.
JL

·
Registered
37 Posts
Johnny Langton said:

Wife's '98 F-150=143K miles..no leaks
Friend's '94 Tbird=just over 100K miles...no leaks
Daughter's '95 Tbird=128K miles...no leaks
Maybe it's just proper maintenance that keeps them alive-but I doubt it.
JL
Ford Quality :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts