TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was heading over to pick up some tires for the race car today and stumbled across a '92 T-Bird, 5.0, AT, 125K miles. The car looks to be in decent shape, just needs a paint job (clear coat pealing). I'm just looking for something to throw some flowmasters on, and put a set of Cobra R's on it, think this would be a decent car for what I want? I'm not looking to turn this into a drag car, maybe an oval car if the need arises LOL, but seriously I'm looking for a new DD.

They are asking $1200, but I think probly $900 cash would talk.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The modular ones are tough to find around here, and the cheap ones that were around have already been through my grasps for parts LOL

I'd think the 5.0 would be pretty cheap to rebuild though, but I've been wrong before.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The modular ones are tough to find around here, and the cheap ones that were around have already been through my grasps for parts LOL

I'd think the 5.0 would be pretty cheap to rebuild though, but I've been wrong before.
Too bad you are so far away.
I see 94-97 Modular Birds between $1000-2000 all the time and they are usually rust free around here.

The 5.0's used to be a little cheaper just because there were so many more options than the modulars but the modulars seem to be catching up parts and performance wise.

·
smoothed and filled red pearl 94
631 Posts
try autotrader.com. there are a bunch down here. last time i was up north of lancaster, pa, i saw at least 6 small dealerships with 94 ups. theyre around, you know?

-John

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
my '91 5.0L XR7 has been more reliable then my '96 4.6L XR7...
And it gets better gas mileage to boot :)

But i bought my '96 as a winter beater/daily driver so.. :) even thou the '91 wont' be insured this year, but it is my summer toy.. I'm hoping to get my other '91 (SC) stopping so i can have it for my `summer' toy...

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
I so want to have a 5.0 / 4.6 reliability throwdown in this thread, but I guess we need to keep it civil :D (Save that discussion for the political forum)

1200 is steep, tell him 750, see what he says.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I so want to have a 5.0 / 4.6 reliability throwdown in this thread, but I guess we need to keep it civil :D (Save that discussion for the political forum)

1200 is steep, tell him 750, see what he says.

Heh Personal Experiences may vary.. :tongue:

2 years 15,000 miles with the '96 has had the same issues if not more (and some issues reshowing themselves (Coughheatercorecough)) then 11 years, 120,000miles in my 91 :eek:

Also i can't really comment on going costs.. since my last 2 cars i've bought have had issues that needed taking care of.. my '89 XR7 with 120,000miles had a blown engine, and got it for $500 and my '91 SC with 100,000miles? with no brakes i got for $300 .. Both in Mintish shape thou :)

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
obviously nothing with with a 5.0 powered TBird, I wouldn't trade my 97 for one though.

And yes, my 89 has been more reliable and stable than my 97.

89 = head gasket replacement
97 = two blown intakes

I want two 5.0 powered MN12s, one to drive, one to take the engine out of for my 63 Falcon. A 5.0HO out of a Rustang still commands a premium that I am not willing to pay. I wouldn't want to take a running 5.0 TBird off the road just for the engine ether though...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts