TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just had a custom 4R70W transmission built with a 3k Stall Circle D torque converter for my 97 Thunderbird with the original 4.6 modular engine. It was installed today to find that it will not shift into overdrive and my thoughts are that it's the poor technology they used when these transmissions came out so if I cannot get it to work properly I may have to take it back out and return it. If it does come to that, I'm thinking maybe I should see if I can get a newer year transmission that will bolt up to the original engine and work properly without any issue. So my question now is; What year automatic transmission should I get that will bolt up to the motor and what will be required to make it work in my older model T-Bird? If it can have more gears too that would be great.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,061 Posts
DId you rewire the connector? What year was the rebuilt tranny?

OD is a solenoid change, and the od band applies. I'd take it back to the guy that built it, and show him this:

Reactions: supergordo

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,011 Posts
What prompted the transmission change? Just performance or did the original unit fail? There is nothing wrong with the 4r70w. It's a very good transmission. There are newer units you can use with some modifications. But I would suggest figuring out why the current unit won't shift into overdrive.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure what year it is precisely, all I know is that it's 4R70W based like the original factory one with 98+ core parts and the valve body I know for sure is the same design but better since it has the servo valve. There were no rewired connectors as far as I know because it was a direct replacement to the original factory transmission that grinded up and died on me. Right now I'm having the builder talk to the installer to solve whatever's causing the issue. If all else fails though, is there a newer transmission that would be better than the 4R70W?

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,011 Posts
I'm not sure what year it is precisely, all I know is that it's 4R70W based like the original factory one with 98+ core parts and the valve body I know for sure is the same design but better since it has the servo valve. There were no rewired connectors as far as I know because it was a direct replacement to the original factory transmission that grinded up and died on me. Right now I'm having the builder talk to the installer to solve whatever's causing the issue. If all else fails though, is there a newer transmission that would be better than the 4R70W?
What "servo valve"? I've built plenty of 4r70ws. What are we actually talking about?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts