TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I are thinking about moving to Japan next year for two years when my orders come up at the end of this year. Just staring the process, getting the house ready to rent passports for the kids, etc....

Looks like ill be out of the mn12 world for awhile until I return.

When I do return, I plan to bring back my childhood dream car. Nissan skyline gtr. I can bring home a 90 gtr back with me in 2015 because the car is 25 years old.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol. How long have you been there for?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Cool! The GT-R would be fun but I bet the import process is pretty expensive.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I think it's great you guys want to see the world and share that experience with the entire family! Sounds awesome. I would just caution you with all the recent BS coming from North Korea that Japan is a whole lot closer and NK has already treatened to nuke US bases on Japan's soil. There is danger everywhere to be sure, I'm just not so sure I would want to put myself that close to the most recent nutcase lol. Either way bud, I wish you and the family the best and I hope it's as awesome as it sounds.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
C'mon now, this area isn't all that bad. You just gotta know where to go.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know about the north Korea. Another reason to go.

As far as importing, its a hassle free process if the car is 25 years old or older.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I definately here ya bud, I know you're a Marine and you want to be close to if not in the fight, I was just saying in my case. I would not be to fond of the idea of leaving my home soil and backup if the crap hits the fan. However I still think it's an awesome idea and definately meant no offense to you in anyway. You know I make it a point to thank all of our sevicemen and women. God Bless ALL of our troops!!!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
C'mon now, this area isn't all that bad. You just gotta know where to go.
Not so much the area or people you an Ian have been great, more like my chain of command one person in particular.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not so much the area or people you an Ian have been great, more like my chain of command one person in particular.
Lol, I know all to well about bad chain of commands!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Might want to check to see if you need to bring a car over in order to have your employer pay the shipping to bring one back. I hope it works out for you.

·
Super Moderator
11,871 Posts

As far as importing, its a hassle free process if the car is 25 years old or older.
North Korea ain't sh!t and they're not going to start sh!t. It would be a death sentence for the regime and they know it. It would be suicide for them to start anything.

Of course thought, we've got to keep a presence in the region in order to assure them of that ...

About shipping a car: I'm confused here? A 1994 Tbird is far from 25 years old or older. :confused:

In 2014 it'll barely be 20 years old.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Importing a vehicle to the US, and a 1990 Skyline, in 2015.

My nephew recently graduated Marine corps boot camp, 0311 based in Pendleton. He has an interesting deployment outlook, but wants to go to Afghanistan.

As I was in the airwing for my 5 years in the USMC I didn't understand everything he was talking about.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Are you going to the main island(s) or Okinawa?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im goin to Okinawa. dont know what base yet...

your nephew may never deploy. we just about done with Afghanistan.

TM...sending a car from the USA to Japan is a hassel, regardless of year. i can import any car that is 25 years or older from japan to usa with ease...which in my case, will be a 90 or 91 skyline gtr

·
Super Moderator
11,871 Posts
Ok. Cool. Best wishes overseas. Glad to hear you plan on keeping the Tbird. You should leave it with Rob so he can work on it for you while your gone. He'll have that thing smokin' fast by the time you get back if you put the money you plan on buying that rice with into your Tbird. :tongue: ... AND you won't have to deal with importing a car back home.

Something to think about anyway ....

But you're going to Japan... I can't blame you for going native... :tongue:

You, NativeD and Funktastic need to get that overseas stuff out of your system and get back to racing with us in the good 'ol U.S. of A.

You'll have a great time. Tell NativeD we all said hello! :wavey:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL....im a ford guy by heart. plus, i can buy the car, bring it here, and sell it for $40,000+ easy if i choose to....

·
Registered
253 Posts
North Korea ain't sh!t and they're not going to start sh!t. It would be a death sentence for the regime and they know it. It would be suicide for them to start anything.

Of course thought, we've got to keep a presence in the region in order to assure them of that ...
So true, Some people underestimate the power and influence the USA has, if North Korea does step out of line they will get spanked hard, and no longer be communist, it will be merged with South Korea's government and just be Korea from that point on. We didn't joke or play with Japan, and the US wont joke or play with North Korea either, this little boy who rules over there is just running mouth to boost his ego and has no real idea of what he is up against, but he will find out if he messes around.

As far as the GTR goes, I used to be against imports until I bought one, then I became a fan, some things Japan does that North America doesn't get or wont get for that matter, I love my Bird, and my Dodge truck for what it is, but most of my drivers will continue to be from Japanese manufacturers they just get it what can I say, it's not about the speed necessarily, but the combination of reliability decent performance, and handling, things you don't get unless you spend booku dollars on an American model, on top of that fewer failures in components has me sold sold sold, and gas mileage that is hard to compare to. Makes most of our things look primitive when you really look at it. US manufacturers have steped up quite a bit don't get me wrong, but I feel like a lot of it is second best still in some cases. I have owned domestic brands for years and refused to buy Import cars until I finally got a deal I could not refuse was hooked ever since.

Good luck out there in Japan and enjoy the GTR I know I would, as long as when you come back you buy another Thunderbird l.o.l. I would anyway who says you can't have both and be happy.

Ooh Rah Killlll!!!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well. i plan to keep my tbird for a few more years... its not goin anywhere soon. im sure ill come back to it, but ill also have my gtr(hopefully)

ill also have my wife's 94 SC and 99 Lincoln navigator.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts