TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man i'm starting to pull my hair out. I should have searched more before giving over my car to the mechanic. I read on MLPS that it can do odd things with your tranny, like switching gears, go into nuetral etc. Funny cause for the past year sometimes when i put my shifter from D to P it would snag reverse, and i'd have to fidget with it to get in P.

Does this sound more like a clutch/tranny thing...or mlps..these where the problems.. When hot the car would need 4-5K of throttle for the tranny to engage in drive/1st...or any gear. When cold the car would accelerate as if it ran out of gear, and it just lacked acceleration. The tranny was/is 133K original miles with no other probs. I'm just hoping i don't get a tranny with the same MLPS..?

When they install a rebuilt tranny, is it common practice to change the MLPS also..?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One small detail i left out..lol...is that literally 10 minutes before all these problems, i did a power-brake drag in which i held the brakes and gassed it to like 1500rpms..then took off.

That seems to be the culprit...jeezuz..

·
Registered
443 Posts
I wouldnt think that giving it gas while pushin the brake would cause that. If it was the MLPS, it was gonna happen regardless in my opinion.

What you did was stall out the torque converter. Thats how you check the stall for the tc and thats how you load the tc up for when your getting ready to do a hard launch. Ive actually done it a few times in my dad's minivan. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts