TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone who has paid mechanic to replace fuel pump or rear differential on their TBird what did you pay in labor?

I thought I'd have time to do some of this work myself but don't and will probably be bringing it in somewhere to have the work done.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Back when I first started driving my car it was having what I though to be a fuel pump issue that I couldnt figure out. The place I brought it to found that it was the connector that plugged into the pump. I paid $300, so at the cost of a $15 connector Id say that was basically the labor cost.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
For anyone who has paid mechanic to replace fuel pump or rear differential on their TBird what did you pay in labor?

I thought I'd have time to do some of this work myself but don't and will probably be bringing it in somewhere to have the work done.
I would call around and get estimates. Some places will look up flat rate time and multiply it by their shop rate. Others may look at the car and give you a number, and sometimes you can haggle.

I estimate those jobs are 2-4 hrs each, most shops are $100/hr so $200-$400 ish per job + parts and fluids

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
When you say "rear differential", are you talking about swapping in a whole assembled pumpkin, or taking off the rear cover and going inside and replacing the differential?

Al

·
Super Moderator
5,025 Posts
When I took Ruby Jean (our 1991 Cougar) in to get its fuel pump replaced (wasn't the problem with an intermittent hard start; turns out it was a bad ground to the ECU! - but in fairness, I'd done the fuel filter, regulator, and injectors already, and was thinking it was a fuel bleed down issue, since a couple of primes and it's be up and running) I paid $300 for the fuel pump replacement and a lube of the U-joints (since he had the driveshaft down). Mechanic also topped off the diff and hit the zerks on the front suspension while it was up in the air.

RwP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts