TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to recent problems with my oil pressure, I am attempting to connect a mechanical oil pressure gauge from Napa to my stock sendor's port. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any information about this up to this point.

First, I need to know how if anything must be removed out of the way so I can access the port and connect the coupling for my mechanical gauge.. The ACC bracket seems to be in the way, but I am not sure.

Next, if anyone has experience with dash-style aftermarket mechanical gauges, especially from Napa, I need to know what size couplings they include. Also, what size is the sender port on our cars?

Finally, once the gauge is installed, I must know when to take measurements. This includes at what RPMs, engine temp, and what oil pressure I should be seeing.

Any information you can provide me with regaurding these questions would be extremely helpful!

·
Registered
437 Posts
New Oil Pressure Sender

You'll have to change the oil pressure sender, to one that is compatible with your guage.

The OEM sender is only a 12V switch. No oil pressure = the switch is open. Oil Pressure = the switch is closed, & the OEM guage moves to "somewhere". So the OEM sender only supplys voltage/no voltage. It is not a variable signal.

There is a mod that you can do which will allow your OEM oil pressure guage to react like a regular guage. It involves changing the sender, and bypassing a resistor. However, this mod will NOT tell you how much oil pressure you have. It will only show when it varies.

68COUGAR

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone happen to know the size of the opening in the side of the block which the long metal oil pressure sending tube installs into?

I may connect a mechanical gauge up to bypass the stock unit altogether, and avoid the steel tube if possible.

If nothing else, I might get an electrical sensor and fit it to the hole in the block rather than the steel tube..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts