1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
That looks great, looks like really all you would ever need for a while. :)

The only thing that I could see that might come in handy in addition to that would be ratcheting wrenches. They really come in handy on the UCA bolts.

·
Registered
613 Posts
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00933182000P i was just wondering if that would be good for the thunderbird....like will a 182 pc be enough? (besides the specialty tools)
More than enough.. if it holds like previous experiences I've had. You'll be buying a bunch of extras..
Check the metric sockets, are they still leaving out one in the mid teens?
And BTW, I prefer six point combi wrenches despite the drawbacks.
Also go to harbor freight and get deepwell impact sockets.

.. handy in addition to that would be ratcheting wrenches. They really come in handy
Ratcheting wrenches - yes. Come in very handy many times, but
on the UCA bolts.
seriously.. I dont get that. Second time I did UCA's I remembered the hassle of the first and KNEW there had to be a better way. So I searched till I found it.

Duh! Knock those ears off the back boltheads, and put an open end on the nut and turn with ratchet on bolthead, till it backstops. Of course you know not to let it damage anything.

And tubing wrenches for brakelines etc. Dont EVEN TRY open end. Cheapos from Harbor are a better bet.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks guys :) i want the 300 something tool set with a metal box....but thats a lil bit over my price range :tongue:

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Yeah ... you could probably do without the 42 piece Hex set ... I dont know where you would use those on the TBird.

If you plan on doing any suspension work, you'll want a breaker bar, and some larger sockets.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Yeah ... you could probably do without the 42 piece Hex set ... I dont know where you would use those on the TBird.

If you plan on doing any suspension work, you'll want a breaker bar, and some larger sockets.
Especially if you dont have access to any air tools. :)

·
Registered
6,220 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
http://www.sears.com:80/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00927032000P?prdNo=21&blockNo=21&blockType=G21

if you can swing it, ive got 2 of these. comes in a nice box, with trays with everything labeled etc. i take one to the track with me all the time. its got alot of what id need and space in the top to add more crap.
And for 50 bucks you get a lot more frustration reducing stuff. Lots more six point wrenches and sockets.

Print out and compare
http://download.sears.com/misc/IL33182.pdf
http://download.sears.com/misc/IL27032.pdf

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
thanks for the link vic, I will have to pick one of those up...I have the 154 piece set from sears...the tools themselves are fine, however, the case is horrible...the wrenches fall out and many of the other tools move around, creating a big mess.

Also, I am beginning to outgrow this set, I need more tools, a better case/box, etc.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I personally would avoid Sears/Craftsman their quality is not what is was nor is their service.

Perfect example Torque wrench is sold has a hand tool but they will not repair/replace one (I'm not talking recalibrate). Yet Lowes/Kobalt not a problem.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Kobalt is nice. I just picked up a 63 piece set for 25 bucks. I like how all the sockets snap into the case so they cant fall out, and they're color coded (metric blue, SAE red).

·
Registered
512 Posts
Thats a good starter set but not enough for the tbird if you plan on doing the future mods in your sig but thats ok, we all started somewhere when it comes to tools. I'd recommend the set posted by rattlehead.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
I personally would avoid Sears/Craftsman their quality is not what is was nor is their service.

Perfect example Torque wrench is sold has a hand tool but they will not repair/replace one (I'm not talking recalibrate). Yet Lowes/Kobalt not a problem.
Well said. I bought a torque wrench from Sears for $80 about eight years ago. It began to give me faulty responses (clicking early or several times during sweep) and I went back to the store: no dice. They wouldn't even look at it or replace it.

I still have the damn thing laying in the trunk. It technically still works but I don't trust its accuracy anymore.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Well said. I bought a torque wrench from Sears for $80 about eight years ago. It began to give me faulty responses (clicking early or several times during sweep) and I went back to the store: no dice. They wouldn't even look at it or replace it.

I still have the damn thing laying in the trunk. It technically still works but I don't trust its accuracy anymore.
When I worked at a sears auto center all the more experienced techs would bad mouth craftsman tools and how management would tell the tool trucks (snap on, matco, mac) not to come by our shop, and that the techs "need to be buying craftsman." Craftsman is good for basic sockets and wrenches but for torque wrenches, and ratchets its best to buy it off the tool truck.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
No one place has everything you need. Even harbor freight has some important stuff that is hard to get anywhere else. The stuff a professional uses the most is best to get from a tool truck but if they do not come around all the time you either buy spare after spare or crafstman and take them back often.
Alan

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
The way I see it is Craftsman is ok for weekenders. Kobalt/Am-Pro/Blackhawk... is good for heavy use and Snap-on/Matco if your tools are your paycheck.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I've got a ton of craftsman stuff. All my ratchets are SnapOn and mac sockets are all craftsman with multiple duplicates. I just got a Matco set a few weeks ago. My air impact is mac my impact sockets are mac and SnapOn torque wrench is Matco and the battery impacts are SnapOn and Milwaukee a wide range of stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
On a second note if you do not have a tool truck coming by on a regular basis snap on tools are the biggest junk you can get. There is no place you can send tools to be replaced, their dealers are independant and if you call them wanting them to stop by to replace some tools they will never return your call. If you chase one down they tell you if you do not have an account with that particular dealer you cannot get them replaced and refuse to set up an account. I have about 25 broken snap on swivel sockets and now am forced to use other brands. A major company that I think builds the best tools in the world was overlooked. S&K, they stand by their product no matter where you got it.
Alan

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
On a second note if you do not have a tool truck coming by on a regular basis snap on tools are the biggest junk you can get. There is no place you can send tools to be replaced, their dealers are independant and if you call them wanting them to stop by to replace some tools they will never return your call. If you chase one down they tell you if you do not have an account with that particular dealer you cannot get them replaced and refuse to set up an account. I have about 25 broken snap on swivel sockets and now am forced to use other brands. A major company that I think builds the best tools in the world was overlooked. S&K, they stand by their product no matter where you got it.
Alan
I think thats just the dealer. I've never had an issue with SnapOn, and I've dealt with a few different trucks. Now the Mac guy we have he's a pita. I've had a broken ratchet on my box for months waiting for him to come in. Plus he downtown have squat on the truck. Matco guy is the best, no really he is, look up John Wolf.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts