TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 Thunderbird Sport 4.6. It handles great. I love this car! The only problem with the driving is always having to return the wheel back to center on every movement - from the slightest to the biggest move - I have to always turn the wheel back! Ideas?

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,814 Posts
I understand like pulling out on a road turning left or right and letting the steering wheel go and it will go back to straight . My bird does it good :) But I know of another car its FULL power steering and you have to help it go back straight

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
The caster setting of the alignment is what "centers" the wheel when you're driving down the road.

Have your alignment checked and make sure the caster is set properly.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Had the same problem with a Mark VIII. It was a bad rack and pinon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I second the rack. Just replaced all of my front suspension. I was told by the mechanic that the rack was bad, and the steering wheel would tend to "trail" itself, or continue in the same direction until changed. Not a pulling, but different. New rack and pinion would fix the problem. Hopefully that makes sense.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I second the rack. Just replaced all of my front suspension. I was told by the mechanic that the rack was bad, and the steering wheel would tend to "trail" itself, or continue in the same direction until changed. Not a pulling, but different. New rack and pinion would fix the problem. Hopefully that makes sense.
Yes, this is the exact same problem I am dealing with right now. Will a 94 Tbird 4.6 rack swap over nicely to this car? I have one ready.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
**** that. I will get a new rack
There's no way I would put in a used rack; the job is hard enough... I'm only doing it once.

In fact, I'll probably pay a shop to swap the next one, it's so bad.

Unless you have the engine out, or the hands of a three year old, it's a b*tch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts