TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked through all of the old forums and could not find anything that directly addressed this topic. The only trans fluid that I can find in the stores (multiple stores) is either Quaker State or Valvoline synthetic trans fluid. Both of which only state that they meet the requirements for Dexron III-Mercon and Mercon V. Is this the appropriate trans fluid to use ('97 4R70W)? I have not found anything that simply stated Mercon V trans fluid. Should I get the other stuff or should I just go to Ford on Monday and get their trans fluid? Also, '96 and up $r70W's came from the factory with Mercon V correct?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Buy the Mercon V !!!!! and no Mercon V wasn't factory
issue untill 1998 "I think" === installing a trans cooler
is also a big help to your trans's longevity.

Curt

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I figured that was the deal. I just don't understand why NO stores around here sell the real Mercon V?!? I went to several auto parts stores and regular stores (Wal-Mart, Meijer, etc.) and nobody had it. And if I asked for it the people looked at me like I had three heads and pointed at the synthetic stuff. Guess I'll head over to Ford on Monday.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If I recall DanU has used the Valvoline version...

Kevin Varnes said:
Thanks. I figured that was the deal. I just don't understand why NO stores around here sell the real Mercon V?!? I went to several auto parts stores and regular stores (Wal-Mart, Meijer, etc.) and nobody had it. And if I asked for it the people looked at me like I had three heads and pointed at the synthetic stuff. Guess I'll head over to Ford on Monday.
for some time now and had satisfactory results. But if you can't
raise a positive response from him, I'd stick with the Ford
product also. I'm no tranny engineer, but as I recall in some
old guard discussion on this subject a long time ago - the
lubricative properties of Mercon type fluid (or even lack thereof)
was dead n*ts critical. I'd hate to materially shorten the life
of my tranny to save $10-15. In my case, it's a matter of
ignorance - so I'm figuring better safe than sorry

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the reply. I'm not really looking to save a few bucks on the fluid, but I wanted to try and get it changed this weekend. Guess that's not going to happen now. I'll just go with the Ford fluid rather than try something that might work :) Hell, I had a hard enough time finding a damn filter for the thing. Somebody tell me how a major auto parts store does not stock a trans filter for the 4R70W??

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
If yours has more than 40,000 miles on it, and it hasnt been changed yet, you really should do it 2 times anyway. Do it with the cheap stuff now, drive it for a week, and do it again with what you want to leave in it. I did this with mine, and it acted a little funny at first. After the 2nd flush, it shifted like a new one. I guess there was still a lot of stuff in some passages.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts