TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to do a transmission fluid and filter change in my 94 SC so I've been pricing a case of Mercon V. My local Advanced Auto has Valvoline Merc V in stock for $5.09 a quart and can get Motorcraft Merc V for $2.79 a quart (not in stock). Is Valvoline Mer V supposed to be a superior product compared to Motorcraft Merc V or why is there such a big price difference? Just wondering.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I'm getting ready to do a transmission fluid and filter change in my 94 SC so I've been pricing a case of Mercon V. My local Advanced Auto has Valvoline Merc V in stock for $5.09 a quart and can get Motorcraft Merc V for $2.79 a quart (not in stock). Is Valvoline Mer V supposed to be a superior product compared to Motorcraft Merc V or why is there such a big price difference? Just wondering.
In my shopping just last month for Merc V in CA (a higher priced area),
Autozone: Coastal Merc V - $3.99
Kragen/Oreilly/CSKAuto: Motocraft - $4.49
Walmart: Supertech Mercon V - $3.77

Mercon V is a spec so all oils that are labeled this should have passed this standard. Allegedly, Merc V is Merc III w/ some additives so any Merc-V should be equivalent. Thinking about it another way, Ford/Motorcraft doesn't make oil so they are buying it from somwhere else and relabelling it. If you find it for cheap, get it.

BTW, if you are buying at Advanced Auto, see if you can get it online, use a coupon, and ship it to store. I read on bobtheoilguy.com that the cheap price is because AAP is closing out stock of Motorcraft Mercon V, but you may try and see if you can snag it.

Regards,
-g

PS. If you haven't bought an ATF filter yet, PM me. I have an extra one. PM me an I'll cut you a deal (I'll even sell you the stuff to DIY your own JMOD kit if you haven't done it already).

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=133407

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my shopping just last month for Merc V in CA (a higher priced area),
Autozone: Coastal Merc V - $3.99
Kragen/Oreilly/CSKAuto: Motocraft - $4.49
Walmart: Supertech Mercon V - $3.77

Mercon V is a spec so all oils that are labeled this should have passed this standard. Allegedly, Merc V is Merc III w/ some additives so any Merc-V should be equivalent. Thinking about it another way, Ford/Motorcraft doesn't make oil so they are buying it from somwhere else and relabelling it. If you find it for cheap, get it.

BTW, if you are buying at Advanced Auto, see if you can get it online, use a coupon, and ship it to store. I read on bobtheoilguy.com that the cheap price is because AAP is closing out stock of Motorcraft Mercon V, but you may try and see if you can snag it.

Regards,
-g

PS. If you haven't bought an ATF filter yet, PM me. I have an extra one. PM me an I'll cut you a deal (I'll even sell you the stuff to DIY your own JMOD kit if you haven't done it already).

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=133407
OK some good information, I believe I'll get the Motorcraft.
Thanks for the offer on the parts but I already have a Motorcraft fitler which is for a 2002 Mustang since that's what transmission in my SC and it's already been J-modded.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I have Valvoline Mercon V in mine, currently....been that way since the J-MOD happened nearly one year ago....I have been satisfied with it. Gonna change it soon, and probably go with Motocraft, just because ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,318 Posts
I have the Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc (red bottle) in all three cars, last fall it was $2.66 a quart at Wal Mart but last month it had gone up to $4.44 a quart. :eek:

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I have the Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc (red bottle) in all three cars, last fall it was $2.66 a quart at Wal Mart but last month it had gone up to $4.44 a quart. :eek:

Only recently did my local valvoline rep get me an actual invoice from valvoline stating that they the maxlife merc/dex meets or exceeds mercon v standards. I'll stick to castrol mercon v or valvoline's blue bottle. They've been very hit and miss every few months we get another invoice telling us "this now meets this standard" or "immediately discontinue using 'product x' in 'car x', it's not very assuring" I don't like valvoline's maxlife line very much. Frankly anything with a seal sweller is just asking for more trouble.

·
Registered
36 Posts
DEXron III / Mercon ishas been replaced by Mercon V. Mercon V is a full synthetic fluid and the other is a blended product.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
DEXron III / Mercon ishas been replaced by Mercon V. Mercon V is a full synthetic fluid and the other is a blended product.
Some MercIII trans do not like MecrV.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I have taken to using Mobil 1 ATF in everything.

I started tracking what was going on in the transmissions that were going into stupid high horsepower cars, cars that are strictly race cars where the customers send them back in to "refresh" occasionally whether they need it or not and trucks. Almost always with either fluid type they didn't really need anything done. But, the ones with any regular form of Mercon V would hot spot on the intermediates almost always and usually also showed signs of getting hot on either or both the od band and direct clutch plates. Trucks would tend to glaze the OD band, probably from towing, and often showed signs of heat on the reverse clutches. Those that used Mobil 1 hardly ever showed any signs of anything anywhere.

So yes, I really do think it's that good.

I have no data on differences between the different manufacturers of Mercon V.

But, regardless of the application, the most important thing is to get yourself a good stacked plate style external cooler and change the fluid regularly.

Darrin

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
I have taken to using Mobil 1 ATF in everything.

I started tracking what was going on in the transmissions that were going into stupid high horsepower cars, cars that are strictly race cars where the customers send them back in to "refresh" occasionally whether they need it or not and trucks. Almost always with either fluid type they didn't really need anything done. But, the ones with any regular form of Mercon V would hot spot on the intermediates almost always and usually also showed signs of getting hot on either or both the od band and direct clutch plates. Trucks would tend to glaze the OD band, probably from towing, and often showed signs of heat on the reverse clutches. Those that used Mobil 1 hardly ever showed any signs of anything anywhere.

So yes, I really do think it's that good.

I have no data on differences between the different manufacturers of Mercon V.

But, regardless of the application, the most important thing is to get yourself a good stacked plate style external cooler and change the fluid regularly.

Darrin
Nice experience to share . I have always used there engine oil in my years, and ever known issues :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts