TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My children are now fully grown teenagers and don´t fit so good on the T-birds rear seats so I decided to buy a 1993 Grand marquis for weekends and long trips , I found a 1993 in perfect condition , no rust , excelent leather interior , 90,000M
Has anyone owned one of these cars? , it has a 4.6 engine so I guess much of what I know from my T-bird engine applies to this one , but I was wondering if some of you know of problems I should be aware of with this car any input will be appreciated (and I don´t think there is a site like this one for those cars )

·
Registered
329 Posts
i love them actually im looking for one myself , if anyone can give me more info it would be great.

btw the best seems to be the 1996 model it has the updated engine ready for a pi swap the new interior and all the luxury seems like at 1997 they lost several features

btw im lloking for some GM specific info like luxury items form year to year etc, crownvic doensrt have much of that.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
had a 93CV. Great car. The only thing that comes to mind is the power windows. They love to break. Not to expensive to fix though if you do it yourself. Otherwise great car. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
hey guys, I was just wondering on how close the Grand Marquis and Crown Victoria are to MN12's.....if my memory serves me correctly, they had 4.6's and Rear Wheel drive...I think my sister had a '93 when I was like 10, and just recently my dad told me it had rear wheel drive.

Does it have the independent suspension?

THANKS

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Rear wheel drive car, no IRS. Live axel. Most were equipped with air ride suspenion in rear except Taxis and Police interceptors. In 93 they would have AODE transmissions, not 4R70W's. That transmission was installed in 95 and newer models. 92-94 were EEC-IV not EEC V. PI engines were installed starting 2001 model year. :)

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
The CV and GM are worlds apart chassis-wise. The CV and GM are built on the Panther platform, and you know the birds are built on the MN-12 platform. The Panther is a full body on frame setup, so no unibody. The early 4.6L's in them are known to have bad valve seals and blow oil/smoke. I would try and find an 01 CVPI that is in good shape, or an HPP/Sport version if you really want to get one.

Jay

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, I have driven my new Marquis for a couple of days , I cleaned the MAF , new oil ( Castrol Magnatec 10 w30 ) all filters , pcv valve , next weekend is plugs (very easy to reach compared to the T-bird )and tranny fluid , it feeels just right , I was surprised with the engine´s power , considering all the extra weight and accesories , the suspension feels too cushiony but thats Ok , power windows scare me, they go up sooo slow and make so much noise i´m afraid they will get stuck halfway
only thing left , wax the t-bird put the car cover on :D and let it rest for a while

·
8,239 Posts
i wouldn't recommend that you post on CV.net, that is one of the sites that Dennis Reinhart pays to have free roam over there.

Anyway, the vic is a great car, there is a reason why police and the government have used them for years, they are very reliable, and great highway cars.

JH

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JustinH said:
i wouldn't recommend that you post on CV.net, that is one of the sites that Dennis Reinhart pays to have free roam over there.
Thanks for letting me know ,

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
If you want real technical info, www.crownvic.us is a better place, CVN is full of know nothing kids with police impersonation fantasies.

But in general - a Marquis is a great car all around.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Cam94 said:
Rear wheel drive car, no IRS. Live axel. Most were equipped with air ride suspenion in rear except Taxis and Police interceptors. In 93 they would have AODE transmissions, not 4R70W's. That transmission was installed in 95 and newer models. 92-94 were EEC-IV not EEC V. PI engines were installed starting 2001 model year. :)

this isnt true about the air suspesnion. ONLY high line loaded lx and gs marquis have this option , its part of a handling package . my parents 1995 cv lx has springs no airbags . loaded car with leather .

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah , mine has springs too , I am about to change the tranny fluid , if it is not the 4r70w , Should I use mercon V ?

·
Registered
158 Posts
What does it matter if Dennis Reinhart has free reign over ther???? Don't get why i should give a flying frig?????? :confused: Yes, CVN has it's issues, but it is generally a good site. So is Crownvic.us . Anyways, try this site for some general info as what goes with the VIC is actually perinent to the Marquis too. Chasis tuning is basically the same between them (though there is no P71 package for the Marquis). I like my P71,. like it more than I expected. We also had a 94 Grand marquis. The P71 package handles great and is put together more solidly than the civilian versions. I'd try to find a 96+ if I was looking. Anyways, if anyone wants a nice running P71 I am selling mine for 1700 firm, really want a mark VIII LSC or 96 Impala SS :D :D :D

Brian

1 - 18 of 18 Posts