TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't about a MN12 or anything remotely related. Or maybe it is? My 1994 Merq will not shift out of park once it is started. I can however turn the key and position it just before the accesory prior to starting and shift it in to neutral. Once in neutral it will start no problem. I have tryed to locate the problem, but everything mechanical seems to be behind the air bag. Does anyone know how to remidy this problem! Thanks Eric

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Sounds like the electric solenoid that controls the shifter lockup is going out. The only other reason that would act up is if the brake sensor wasn't working. If your brake lights work, then its the shifter solenoid. You'll have to tear it apart and replace it.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
First thing to always do when having electrical probs is check your fuses. But its definitely a prob with the brake/shifter lock thingy ... located in the steering column ... could be mlps, brake sensor have 2 i believe, ummm thats all i can remember right off hand ...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
It is the brake light switch located on the pedal. It is wired into the interlock so if it does fail, you can only start it in neutral. It went on my 93 Crown Vic. $10 part and took about 30 minutes to replace. Not bad just in an awkward position to work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts