TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm pretty sure I'm asking a dumb question, but I've looked for hours on the forums looking for the answer and no one was very clear on this matter. On a couple of threads, I've seen them say that you need to remove the metal ball inside the bell house that the clutch fork pivots on because I'm swapping to hydraulic (s10 slave). Is this true :confused: because to me, it seems if I were to remove that, then the clutch fork wouldn't properly pivot to engage the clutch. Someone please help me out here, because I'm waiting to put my trans in because of this confusion!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't have any idea why you would do that. I have a T5 going into my ranger this spring. I have a hydrauic clutch setup for it, and you certainly don't remove the pivot ball. BTW, the ranger guys use a slave off of a 1980 Nissan z. You can pick it up at autozone for less than $20. You still have to make a bracket for it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have any idea why you would do that. I have a T5 going into my ranger this spring. I have a hydrauic clutch setup for it, and you certainly don't remove the pivot ball. BTW, the ranger guys use a slave off of a 1980 Nissan z. You can pick it up at autozone for less than $20. You still have to make a bracket for it.
I already have my s10 slave and bracket made and mounted, thanks for the info though! that could prove to be useful later. and here is a link to one place I seen that said remove it...look at the bottom paragragh http://www.t45swap.com/swap-tranny-list

It makes no sense to me either why on earth I would have to remove that, but these people have done the swap and I figure they should know...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thats for the mcleoud throwout bearing. Its hydraulic itself. No need for the slave at all with it. But its $400 or something crazy like that. I will have less than half that in my setup on my truck including the clutch.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats for the mcleoud throwout bearing. Its hydraulic itself. No need for the slave at all with it. But its $400 or something crazy like that. I will have less than half that in my setup on my truck including the clutch.

Thank you, now that makes sense :eek:...Yea, I would never spend that much on a throwout bearing...lol. That's all I have in the whole set up! Thanks again for clearing that up, I just didn't want to have to pull this thing back out when I bolt it in!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Let me know how that thing runs. I have been seriously thinking about the 5 speed swap myself. Since you have to get a tune for it, I want to do the PI swap as well. That should make for a decent running daily driver.

·
Super Moderator
7,558 Posts
No, leave that ball in place. That is the pivot for the clutch fork, which is what the S10 slave pushes on, so without that, it won't work. Also the clutch fork will need to be installed an on that pivot prior to bolting up the trans, or you won't be able to get it in afterwards and would have to pull the trans back out. That T45 swap article that you linked is very old, and was from before I figured out the S10 slave option. Since then, myself and a few others on here have figured out cheaper and easier ways to get the 5-speed into these cars.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me know how that thing runs. I have been seriously thinking about the 5 speed swap myself. Since you have to get a tune for it, I want to do the PI swap as well. That should make for a decent running daily driver.
I'll let you know, I'm gonna have to do what a few others have done and run it without a tune for the time being, considering this is my daily driver, and my torque converter went out on me, I figured I would go ahead and do the swap since I already had the trans planning to do it later. I need it back on the road asap

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, leave that ball in place. That is the pivot for the clutch fork, which is what the S10 slave pushes on, so without that, it won't work. Also the clutch fork will need to be installed an on that pivot prior to bolting up the trans, or you won't be able to get it in afterwards and would have to pull the trans back out. That T45 swap article that you linked is very old, and was from before I figured out the S10 slave option. Since then, myself and a few others on here have figured out cheaper and easier ways to get the 5-speed into these cars.
Yea, after v8nick pointed that out, I realized why that tech article said to remove it, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong, I appreciate all the info on t45 swaps in the forums! My main one has been cableguys thread, and I've read all the others on the subject I could find...I have everything finished and ready to go in now. I'm waiting on my line and fittings to come in from summit because I thought I would be able to have the local hydraulic line company build me the proper line...big mistake, lol. They didn't have, nor have ever seen the correct fitting to go into the slave and petal assembly, so I had to order them from summit

·
Super Moderator
7,558 Posts
Yeah, hydraulic places have hose that will work for the line, but every swap I have done I had to go to the junkyard and get a line out of another car to pull the fittings out of.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, hydraulic places have hose that will work for the line, but every swap I have done I had to go to the junkyard and get a line out of another car to pull the fittings out of.
I wish I would have known that the fittings came off of the lines, maybe would have saved me some money...$55 seemed really high for a line and 2 fittings, but it was the last thing I needed to finish the swap and I needed to do something, so I just said screw it and ordered them

1 - 11 of 11 Posts