TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...metal thieves hit the house I am about to move into, sometime in the last day or two. They took all of the copper plumbing, cut several wires and cables, and even tried prying off the outside water faucets. Of course, neighbors saw or heard nothing, which I find odd, considering that the following evidence was found:

1. two freshly-broken sawzall blades
2. Someone is running around with electrocution injuries; they tried cutting through a 225-volt electrical cable (idiot obviously didn't see the front AND back porch lights on), and the giant burn mark on the cable sheath appears that there was some sort of arc......
3. I was there two days before this happened, and I was under the house, looking at the same pipes to determine whether or not they needed extra insulation, and of course, everything was still there.
4. The water was turned on, so the idiot/idiots who took it were crawling around in a foot of water in the crawlspace when one of them tried cutting through the 225-volt oven feed wiring. I am absolutely shocked that there isn't a body under there.

At any rate, I just paid $4000 to get all of it repaired, both plumbing and electrical...and it has chewed up my car fund. I will get it back, as my house was insured (thank god I took care of that first), but I need to publicly apologize to Godspeed/Joel here for being delayed on some parts I was going to pay for Friday evening...

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
That sucks. I was just reading an article on CNN abou this happening. Why wasn't this covered under your insurance?

-Miller

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Larry,

Just got your message, sorry I didn't answer I was in a meeting. No need to apologize, they're waiting for you whenever you're back on your feet. I can sympathize, as a builder, I have had plenty of things taken from jobsites myself. Not a good way to start the day!

Hope everything gets back together quickly and you can enjoy your new house soon. Just contact me when you're ready, and I'll hold them till I hear from you.

-Joel

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sucks. I was just reading an article on CNN abou this happening. Why wasn't this covered under your insurance?

-Miller
It IS covered, yay! I just didn't like the $4000 I had to pony up to get the cursed work done immediately, but I am supposed to be out of my existing rental outhouse on the 31st. If I didn't mind waiting a week or so, I could have gotten someone else out there, and not have paid a dime. I am still going to be reimbursed, but it may take a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Well, you need to get them working on fixing the damage so they next wave of them that steal the appliances can get to work ::shakes head::

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Moose, get ahold of me please. Just need to know if you still want these or not.

-Joel

·
Registered
741 Posts
Yes, yes, keep throwing names and calibers around that you know nothing about.

Hey, how about you buy a Desert Eagle, too? IT'S FIFTY CALIBER WHICH MEANS YOU COULD SHOOT ELEPHANTS WITH IT.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
.223 5.56mm yeah i know nothing igrew up around arms

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
IT'S FIFTY CALIBER WHICH MEANS YOU COULD SHOOT ELEPHANTS WITH IT.
Yeah, if you REALLY want to piss him off... :)

Elephant guns aren't pistols. A .454 express magnum, however, is an impressive rifle, tho...

There really aren't any gun aficionados here or anything...just some experienced problem solvers. :D

·
Registered
741 Posts
Yeah, if you REALLY want to piss him off... :)

Elephant guns aren't pistols. A .454 express magnum, however, is an impressive rifle, tho...

There really aren't any gun aficionados here or anything...just some experienced problem solvers. :D
I was being facetious.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I feel your pain on this one.. Just got word last night that the house we have been working on (remodeling) for the last 6 months was broken into.. we were going to start putting up the drywall this week (after just having the entire house re-wired) and they broke in sometime between friday night and yesterday afternoon..
They cut out most of the new wiring then stole a 250' spool of eletrical wiring, my prized shopvac, the brand new faucet's from both bathrooms, the alluminum door attached to the back porch and the iron bathtub we had sitting out behind the garage.. they had to have had a few guys to get that thing into a truck because it took myself and 2 other BIG guys that were my size (6'5" 295lbs) to get that thing out of the house.. I'm kinda sad... I was hoping to use that bathtub as a beer/drink trough for celebratorial gatherings..

good luck to you, hope you catch the jerks that did it..

In my case, I hope these guys come back as I'll be stayin a few nights at our place in the company of my springfield 1911

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Being in the steel business, I wouldn't be surpised if I saw people starting to steal HVAC ducts. If you know a good broker... it is easy to get $.35/lb regardless of condition.

You can ALL thank China for this. They buy alllll the scrap, starting back to at least 2003

·
Registered
741 Posts
Something similar happened to my girlfriend's stepdad. A house he had recently built was going up for sale soon, they were just waiting on the appliances to be delivered. The night after the new appliances came in, some dopes broke in, took a whole bunch of piping, kicked some holes in the wall, busted a few windows, and stole a brand new microwave.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts