TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello fellow TCCoA'ers

Just want to throw out some astronomical information. There's a meteor shower going on tonight/early morning Tuesday.
the earth passes through the dust trail of comet temple-tuttle every year....and we get the beautiful Leonid meteor shower.... named this because they come from the area where the constellation Leo, the lion, lies in the night sky...

for more information:

Spaceweather.com special report
Astronomy Picture of the day (updated for 2002 Leonid meteor shower)
MSNBC article on the 2002 Leonids
Space.com: leonid report

just a few things for you all to read....just because it 'peaks' at 4am, doesnt mean you wont see stuff before hand. Leo the lion should rise for you locally at around midnight.

if you're up, look towards the east/southeast sky. look for a backwards question mark ...? ..but the other way....that's leo's head....they'll come from the center of that quesiton mark.

sorry to bother you all w/ my rambling..but i'm an astrophysicist/astronomer....i get all funny in the pants over stuff like this...lol :ztoohot:

check it out guys and girls

take care!

·
Registered
726 Posts
I was disapointed. I work 3rd shift out at the airport, and was looking all night. Didn't see squat. :(

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
My girlfriend is in an astornomy class and I got suckered into breaking up my sleep to go check it out. Saw a lot, it was pretty neat...and then I skipped my morning class.

·
Registered
239 Posts
although most of the sky was cloudy and almost a full moon was out, I still saw 10 of them between 4.15 and 4.45. I checked it out from 10.00-10.30pm as well, but didn't see anything. those are pretty good results...assuming i usually don't see anything whenever these things roll around. it was all good until i had to wake up at 6.45 in the morning.

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blown94SC said:
Saw quite alot last night. Better show that the one in June. :thumbsup:
in june? oh...that's probably the perseid meteor shower. yeah, the perseids arent nearly as spectacular as the leonids.

hope those of you that went out really enjoyed it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts