TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen this on the Water Pump and has a idea what causes it?
Thanks!

-Maic

·
Registered
704 Posts
looks like stop leak or barsleak

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
704 Posts
Does look like "wear".. looks like material being "added" to the impeller fins.

·
Registered
583 Posts
It is hard to tell in that photo if it's corrosion or material deposits. Aluminum can corrode.. but it doesn't turn black, that I know of.. usually, it's a white/gray color. If the black isn't below surrounding surface, try and see if it'll scrape off with the backside of a knife or something similar that won't mar the aluminum.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Meziere Enterprises

Here is what i got as response from Meziere Enterprises!
I cant recall using Tap water at any time but i may be wrong.

-Maic

c/p
The coolant is eating your pump. What is happening is this: There are dissimilar metals in your cooling system. They are creating an electrical current.
The aluminum is being eaten away as the molecules swap positions (that is how the electricity is made in most cases. There is a possibility that additional grounding (extra ground straps) may help. I also suggest a “sacrificial anode”. Draining the system and using pure distilled water helps as well.
To answer your other question it is quite common to see this. Certain parts of the world the water that comes from the tap aids this process.
Good luck,
Jay Cason
Meziere Enterprises
800-208-1755
c/p

Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrificial_anode

·
Super Moderator
10,590 Posts
The coolant is eating your pump.
The aluminum is being eaten away...
That doesn't look like corrosion; I forget which way these turn, but if that's the 'vacuum' side, it could be cavitation erosion of the impeller.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation

It looks like black goo in the photos, tho, lol. :)

Corrosion of aluminum will be white or light brown, depending on what metals are in there.

As far as a sacrificial anode, look for a zinc anode that screws into the drain plug. (Summit, maybe?)

I just swap the fluid every other year, no major issues so far.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Do you guys think powder coating (or hard anodizing) the impeller would stop that problem? Is the impeller removable?

Thanks for posting that photo and the response from Meziere Enterprises. :thumbsup:

You mentioned that the pump is 4 years old, but how many miles are on it. 4 years for me would be 130K miles. :D :beek:

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maic, did you RTV the pump in place?

maybe thats dried rtv?.?>?>/./.
NO.

For now i put the Pump back in place, and hope to replace the impeller later. Good to know is replaceable!

c/p
Today_Meziere Enterprises
We sell that part separately (impeller) we also sell the pulleys separately.
Thanks,
Jay
c/p

-Maic

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maic, how do you like the answers.
Is it running now.
Rick
Good, for the fact that I'm able to get a replacement Parts.

And YES, it's running. Thanks for asking. Didn't take the car for a spin yet, just jumped it up today and but it in front of the Apartment.
Do be Continued. lol

-Maic

1 - 15 of 15 Posts