TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the MFS, I went to a junkyard and luckily(i guess) the MFS was laying on the seat, someone took the whole steering wheel and left the MFS, just for me!

Now, My problem is, I read there is a special torx bit, I think, that I need when I disassemble the steering column to switch them out.

Any help on this tools identity so I can buy one, would be appreciated. And if there are any hints to it make so smoothly.

Thanks

Dave

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
the torx bit kinda looks like a star with 6 sides, its in my opinion a rather stupid design. i had to change mine a year ago in my 96,

1. disconnect battery
2. put key in and turn to on position
3. there should be a hole in the bottom of the plastic around the steering column, put a screwdriver in there and pull outward with the key, and the ignition switch should come out wiht the key.
4. remove 3 screws from the plastic around the steering column
5. remove plastic from around steering column, (it was kind of a tight fit to get it off
6. Remove 3 torx screws
7. Disconnect wiring harness from MFS
8. Plug in new one and reverse steps.

Overall it took me about 45 minutes and i had no idea what i was doing
but the torx bits are rather small, if you go to sears or whatever hardware store and ask for a set make sure they are the small ones.

Hope this helps

Patrick

·
Registered
589 Posts
There are cheap torx-bit sets on eBay. That is where I got my set, it was like $5. it has the T-15 in it by the way, plus the t-20 for the MAF. Just make sure you get the ones with the rescessed holes in the tip.

Preston

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I replaced the MFS yestersday...Unfortunately that was not my problem. I do have a question though.

On the black plastic surrounding the column, the top piece, How did you get the black piece that you turn the ignition with, through the smaller hole in the plastic to remove it?

I didn't remove it and it made the re-installation of the MFS a PITA.

Anyways, time to pay to have someone check all of my wiring I guess.

Thanks Guys

Dave

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha HA, I'm a moron.....I finally fixed my lighting problem. It apparently was the MFS, I changed the MFS and then yesterday changed the fuse(wow im dumb) and meraculously the lights work now, although the Alternatively Flashing Light Mod screwed up my right blinker so I disconnected that for now till I can re wire it.

At Any Rate, Thanks to everyone who helped me on this, thanks litning,

Later,

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts