TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it so damn hard to get a job here.I've got the tools,i've got the experence,and yet here i am almost a month after moving back here(grew up in s.w.michigan)without a job.I've been out every day,to just about every shop I have seen and filled out an app.and given a resusme.I'm starting to get a little pissed off.Everyone keeps telling me to come back in a couple of weeks! What the hell is happening in a couple of weeks:confused:I'd like to know too.I'f anyone has any leads please let me know.:D

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Finding work is hard, Michigan has been in a one state recession since 2002. Everyone is trying hard just to keep afloat. I can imagine that most businesses are struggling, just like you and me.

I have been to South Haven a couple of times (Gingerman is a fun place!). Is Battle Creek too far away to drive everyday?

Good Luck! :cool:

·
Registered
917 Posts
you can come to nc and have mine i hate it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
coffeepot........what kind of work do you do in the automotive industry ? If your a machinist or have experience with mills, lathes, ID or OD grinders, gear cutting or even inspection work.......have you looked into any Aerospace companies ? Not sure if there is any on that side of the state. I've worked for an Aerospace company for 5 years now and we've been busy as hell and getting more and more work every day. Been working 60+ hours a week since I started and the CEO says we're booked solid with work for 2009 and 2010 is about 3/4 booked !! Just a thought for anyone out there looking for work. If you've got experience using mics and indicators or any machining it's worth a shot at trying to get in at an aerospace company. Gotta keep those planes in the air right !

·
Listening on 141.850 mHz!
829 Posts
I got let go from my website supplier job in January 2008, we provided the official DealerConnection websites to Ford, Lincoln-Mercury, Jaguar, Volvo until the end of 2006 when the company I worked for lost the contract after 10 years of running the program. They lost it to FordDirect.com! They used to answer to Ford Global Marketing but since Global Marketing disbanded in late 2005 Ford had us answer to FordDirect. The writing on the wall was there - FD took over at the end of 2006. We began to provide 3rd party websites as an alternative to the FD sites that basically do nothing, all the dealers in the USA, Canada and Mexico hated the change. Eventually about 90% of the dealers that signed with us canceled and stayed with FD in a cost-cutting move - even though they liked our sites a LOT better.

Business started to slow down dramatically, people were let go all through 2007 and I finally got cut in January. I am now at a local Detroit metro Ford dealership answering internet leads for new cars at a fraction of what I was making before. I don't even get to play around with their websites even though I told them I can.

I feel for you, it took me 8 1/2 months to get this, and I had 2 weeks left on unemployment! I have a BS degree but that doesn't seem to be enough anymore. Even if you have an MS or an MA they still don't pay squat but they want all this experience and knowledge from you to better their business!

Have you tried going around to stealerships in your area?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am glad I work for a Jap comapny now, we are slowing down now, but we have some room to breathe still. We have Expirates from Japan, we could send them home first. And now I have some kick a$$ seniority, I am 3rd from the top.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well,I went to the DMV today and took 6 state cert.test for automotive and I'm hoping that will help with the job hiring.bad thing is it will take 4-6 weeks to get the results of the test.:bs:so that means no job for another month?I mite aswell go to work for Mcdonalds till that comes back and then maybe I'll be able to get a job.

·
Listening on 141.850 mHz!
829 Posts
Hey, hope it turns out in your favor!

I too had an interview today at JWT in Dearborn for internet stuff supporting some regional global Ford sites that sounds just like what I was doing at my previous job! It went great but I won't find out until later this week/early next week!

Hopes up high for both of us!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts