TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard from someone that pop cans and bottles sold in michigan are specially marked, and bottles and cans I have here in indiana cant be traded for cash up there. Is this true?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
yes. VT, ME, MA, etc. also have bottle deposits. only 5 cents though. keeps the bottles and can off the road. If someone is careless enough to litter one, a transient will pick it up.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
10 cents here in MI. The tops of the cans have different color aluminum and writing on them that say how much they can be refunded for. Stores check those pretty closely, and get pissed if you try to pull one over on them.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I'm In minnesota drinking a Can of DR.pepper and It has the "special top" on the can, but the empty Mt.dew one next to it doesn't. Do they accept crushed cans, I might head to michigan sometime in the next year for a visit. :D

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn, thats too bad it wont work. I drive to mich once a week, or once every other week to see my girlfriend, and its about $60 in gas.

·
Registered
355 Posts
lets all collect cans and bottles and hop in a mail truck, oh wait i live in mich. I hate saving cans!!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
i live in michigan and all the aunts and uncles are in indiana and we always return any bottles that we get while visiting them. being doing it for years and no problems yet. i would say as long as it is not like a freakin butt load of cans you would have no problems

·
Registered
129 Posts
I remeber correctly two guys from New York hauling a couple U-hauls full to Michigan. They would go from store to store and max out the limit then move on to the next store. But they were caught and in some big time trouble. If I remember correctly they had done this kind of thing a couple times before.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm...now I hear one side says yes it will work, one side says no it wont. I guess next time I am up there Ill just have to test a bag of cans and bottles, see what happens.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Where I work (K-Mart), we take back bottles and cans for refunds, but we can definitely refuse to accept out-of-state cans, and if it's a whole crapload of them and the person is obviously trying to scam us, we can call the cops. Depending on how much they try to return, they can get a fine or even a jail sentence.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Think about how many cans you'd have to take just to break even. If you do the math, you'll find it is a bad investment even if it wasn't illegal.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Break even? What are you talking about, I was going to throw all of them away.

How much would be a 'whole crapload' worthy of calling the cops? I was just thinking like 2 kitchen garbage bags full each week. The place I was thinking of going has the automatic machines too.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Do they really have a way of watching that with the automatic machines?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Some of the automatic machines do reject out-of-state cans. I'm not sure how they distinguish between them; maybe there's a different UPC for an out-of state can. And "A whole crapload" would depend on where you go and who you return them to. Some people just might not care. But like GreenBird said, if you figure out how much it'll cost you to transport the cans up to MI and then come back, you'll probably end up losing money unless you have a rather large amount of cans...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am going to michagan anyways on weekends. I park my car at a grocery store. It will only be taking 15 minutes per week of my time for all of this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts