TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I have to go to Lexington (Ky). Which is 200 miles away from where I live in Owensboro (Ky). Usually not a bad thing. But tonight I have to work til 7:00 central time (Lex is eastern time), it is raining now, and it is suppose to turn over to snow by the afternoon and sweep accross the state eventually getting to Lex. and covering any route I could take and we all know how bad these cars can be in the snow.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
If you haven't already, throw a couple of bags of sand in the trunk, and keep the gas tank relatively full during your trip. This will help.

Also check the air pressure in your tires. Equal tire pressures will help with equal traction. (side to side )

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,116 Posts
we all know how bad these cars can be in the snow.
Really, my 96 Tbird does very well in the snow!!!! I have a 4.6 with all the bolt ons including PI cams and I have 3.73's to boot. What you need to do is invest in some winter tires if you are concerned about driving in the snow and ice! This won't help you tonight though. If you haven't done so, do what RT suggested!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Tbirds arent exactly as good as a 4x4 in the snow, but with some practice its easy unless you get into deep fresh snow, then it can be rough. driving at highway speed is definetely not good either, but if the snow isnt too thick or icy its not bad. They are also great when you wanna do some donuts and slides in open parking lots...then our cars really shine :D

Just be careful and you should be jsut fine, good luck and be safe!

Greg

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have found Tbirds to be very predictable in snow and ice. My FWD focus could pull through more at low speeds, but the birds allways gave me more feel for sliding and such. Some weight, I prefer bags of rock salt incase you need it, allways help.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I've driven lots of vehicals in the winter time, and my thunderbird BY FAR is the easiest to drive and is very predictable and stable. I've got a set of Snow/Ice tires and a 100# speaker box in the trunk and it goes just as good as either of 2 front wheel drive cars I had.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Rock Salt ?

Could you imagine what would happen to your sheet metal if the bag(s) broke open?

It would rust out so bad, it would make you sick.

Stick with something a little less corrosive, IMO

·
Registered
484 Posts
It never broke open, even if it did, there are at least two layers of carpet for it to get through, not to mention its big chunks of salt. I would rather clean up salt than sand from my trunk. I guess I just dont worry that much :)

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I don't worry either, that's why I use the sand .... :)

Ever take a close look at the inside of the trunk, say where it meets the back seat?

Rock salt does not stay as large chunks, it will break down into smaller particles that will fall down into the nooks and crannies. You will not be able to vacuum it all out.

Anyway, it's your ride :D

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
RWD is also fun when you're in about the middle of a low-speed, 4+-lane road with no one around (so incase something goes wrong, no one is hurt) and it's icy. It's fun to be going along at about 25-30 and step on the gas and seeing your speedometer hit between 50-70 (don't do this for long :D it's stupid, yet fun).

I was going down a gravel road, that was level on the sides, at about 10 MPH. I got the speedo up to 80. Quite exhilarating. I'd say I wasn't going over 15 MPH. These cars are a lot funner than my FWD Contour, and I haven't been stuck in this car. In my Contour, I've been stuck like 15 times.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
yep...i know its stupid and not fun if something goes wrong...but i have burriend the needle and gone thru all the gears while im driving at about 10mph...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts