TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so this guy here in decatur has an 86 turbo coupe. two owner (his dad then him) its got less miles than my 93 3.8. and he only wants 600.00 for it. ok now the problems with it. it needs a new flywheel cuz his foot slipped off the clutch one time when he was starting it. but it still starts its just missing a few teeth. new motor mounts (easy) a new clutch its a little worn like every other clutch eventually gets. and a u-joint up front. i checked on all the parts. 150.00 for all that. plus 600.00 for the car. and hmmmm i payed exactly 600.00 for my last thunderbird. but he says the turbo spools up to around 7-8 psi and this thing moves. but engine wise it has no problems and hasnt had any. so im thinkin on tomorrow and droppin 600.00 in cash in this guys hand and takin that thing. it looks nice its a really dark blue almost looks black.

ok so how much faster will the tubocoupe be than my 3.8 lx :D
and its a manual so that adds fun

so does that sound like a good deal. it does to me. i like the way it looks personaly. :thumbsup:

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
if it gets your jollies off.. do it

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
If you get it, do not put on a fart can. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh i plan on it. but i thought the same thing. "hmmmm how do you get a 4 cyl engine to sound really badass. flowmasters maybe ???"

anyone got experience in making a 4cyl turbo coupe sound good

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
No. 4 bangers, no matter what the make, will always sound like a ricer, with whatever exhaust you put on it.

But, being your name has rice in it, I see your future car sounding like a civic.

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Go for it!

Best bet is to get a nice high flow exhaust and put some high flow "quiet" mufflers on it. Thats what I would do because you can't make a 4 banger sound good. It is hard enough to make a V6 sound some what descent, let alone a 4 cyl. I here so many crappy sounding V6 Stangs/F-Bodys around here....

:zpuke:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm i was hoping there was some way to do it up right so it sounds good.

oh ya anyone know how fast they are compared to a 3.8 :D

hey what about true duals. ive seen them :) just get the spilt exhaust manifolds. no j/k but ive seen the true dual exhaust kits for 4 cyl cars

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Ricerbird said:
hmm i was hoping there was some way to do it up right so it sounds good.

oh ya anyone know how fast they are compared to a 3.8 :D
They usually run low 16's from what I've seen. Thats a good second or so faster in the quarter than the 3.8 MN12. They also respond pretty nicely to simple mods. Should be in the 14's with no problem!

Check out this site:

http://www.turbotbird.com/

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
A larger single exhaust about 2.25-2.5 inch works good on these cars. Go with a higher flow QUIET muffler and youll be set for the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well nevermind. i went and looked at it today. and i dont think there was a panel on that car that was straight. it was soo dented up it wasnt funny.it would need new fenders, doors, rear quarters and a hood. soo i decided id pass. but i wanted it too. oh well maybe some other day

1 - 15 of 15 Posts