TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,757 Posts
Yeah if you lower the rack you should ideally lower the outer tie rods by the same amount, the tie rods should be parallel to the LCAs through the range of motion. The aftermarket sells them as bumpsteer kits for Mustangs

Something I’ve been thinking of with the Coyote swap is lengthening the front of a mark VIII oil pan, the only real difference between pan mounting between modulars and Coyotes as far as I can tell is the longer timing cover, though I’m unsure about the oil pickup/pump interchange.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,757 Posts
Bumpsteer is when you hit a bump the car darts. Control arms effectively lengthen and shorten through their travel, moving the wheel/tire inboard and outboard a little bit as the suspension travels. The LCA and tie rods ideally should be roughly the same length and roughly parallel to each other to maintain spindle placement through travel, otherwise they’re lengthening and shortening at different rates, which in effect will “steer” the spindle

The aftermarket sells bumpsteer kits to cure and/or refine this condition, it’s more common on Fox/SN95 Mustangs since their suspension geometry is kind of a mess after you lower them, as you can see they space down the tie rod end from the spindle to make it parallel with the LCA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts