TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm thinking about getting rid of my cats on my cat, do the mustang mil elliminator fit the T-Birds and Cougars?:confused:I recently took my mufflers and third cat off and replaced it with a magnaflow resonator and sounds pretty but I also want to get rid of the cats, Thanks for the input.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
im sure i wont be the last person to say this do not get rid of your cats. replace them with high flow ones atleast. you can get rid of the 3rd one but getting rid of all of them will result in less torque bad scavenging on the pistons and a crappy sound.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I put high flow ones will my CEL come on or or will I still need the eliminators or a custom programing cuz my friend took his CATCO high flow cats of his GT and it sounded the way I want my Cougar to sound but he put the eliminators on his thats where I got the idea:eek:

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
yes the mustang mil eliminators work. I had the BBks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool Ill start looking for high flow cats and put them on asap I think im going to need 02 extensions though will see what happens I'll let you all know how it sounds sometime in the next couple of weeks:D

·
Registered
343 Posts
i took my cats out in my mustang sounded odd yet mean but i had some bad back pressure,the exhaust felt like it was clogged up or bogged down but it did sound mean as hell but if u just want it to sound pretty and loose tourque do it,i admit when it wasnt back pressuring here n there u could feel a difference

·
5,650 Posts
i took my cats out in my mustang sounded odd yet mean but i had some bad back pressure,the exhaust felt like it was clogged up or bogged down but it did sound mean as hell but if u just want it to sound pretty and loose tourque do it,i admit when it wasnt back pressuring here n there u could feel a difference
You took your cats out and felt like you had an intermittent exhaust clog...right.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Engrish, do you speak it?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
If you want your car to sound like a Mustang you have to get your exhaust system to flow as much like a Mustang as possible.

1) Mustangs (pre-05 ones) don't have mufflers in the very back, they have them before the axle
2) Mustangs don't have a third Cat/Y-pipe going into a single pipe that goes around the gas tank

So, you need to get rid of the third cat and replace it with a dual in/dual out muffler OR two glasspacks

Get rid of the single pipe going around the gas tank, set up a true dual system. This will get you as close as possible to a Mustang sound... not exact, but close.

As for the other two cats that hug your manifolds... I don't know about the torque/backpressure statement, but I'm thinking of putting mine back in. The car is just getting too loud without them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts