TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm a V6 owner (boo) Anyways, I'm looking to get a 96-97 bird with a v8 to replace my current bird seeing the v8 has alot more potential. So my question is whats the maximum amount of miles that should be on the car that I'm looking to buy. Of course the less the better but I was wondering what was a safe mileage that could undergo heavy modding. I'm most likely going to replace the engine so I suppose the drivetrain would be the main thing in question. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,233 Posts
i bought mine in 2002 with 88k on the ticker...right now its got 150k and still running strong with good compression......i guess it all depends on how it was treated previously and how well it was maintained

the transmission is most likely gonna have a roller-clutch instead of the mechanical diode, so if neglected, that could be a problem area as well.....mine has luckily held up thru all the abuse i've put it thru, but i do expect it to fail anyday now....lol.....i guess you need to anticipate the trans to fail, just as you might the engine.....its always a risk with used cars

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I had 280K on my 94 when it got rear ended. A properly maintained 4.6L will last easily over 300K miles. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
see my signature. . . .:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
12,737 Posts
I bought my red Cougar with 119k miles...

I talked them down to $2990, from $4990, because it needed shocks and brakes.

Shocks=$200, brakes $150

Car was like new.

Now is at $197,XXX miles, and I've managed to toast the driveshaft ($350), a rear end ($100) , a complete ball joints/tie rods replacement ($450) and now a transmission ($400); If I keep the r's up, it will still burn third...the transmission pump is bad, I think, because it only slips/lags at low rpms.

This car hits the limiters everyday, (just to make sure they still work, of course) and is really fun to drive. It now drives like new, since the ball joints and all bushings were replaced.

None of the problems I've had left me stranded; none failed unexpectedly...even with the slip in the transmission, I'd drive it cross country now.

I would drive the car you want to buy, and see if any of the problems are on the 'known issues' lists here, and use any issues to talk down the price.

If you are buying a 10 year old (minimum) car, don't expect it to be new; unless someone already replaced some of the bushings, the rubber is bound to be on the way out, or hard as a rock.

Pulsating brakes are almost a given on one of these, unless they've been replaced recently. Also bad shocks, and ball joints. Use these as price dropping points.

Oh, and on the test drive, make sure to coast down a long hill, throttle off. then look in the rearview mirror on takeoff; point the blue smoke out to the sales guy...the valve seals are notorious for leaking...:D

EDIT: Changed out the transmission with a 02 Gran marquis trans, and milage is now 27mpg over two tankfulls, from 21mpg... and runs like a scalded dog!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
The engine is the only thing you don't have to worry about. Most well maintained 4.6L's will outlast the car.

Starter, suspension, brakes, tranmission, valve seals, ignition key rack, etc.

Mine 95 had 280,000kms when I sold it. I'd still consider it a very good reliable car at that age.

·
Registered
903 Posts
My 4.6 has 144K miles on it, and now even with it just being a race car, the engine still runs solid. I am very pleased so far on how a stock engine with that amount of miles can live most of its life at 5-6k RPM, doing what I do with it, and just keep on goin.

·
Registered
130 Posts

Just thought I'd add my .02.
Bought mine with 79k on it in 2001.
Now has 148k. Still runs good.
Not letting it go anytime soon.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Check for rust on the body, the engine should be good if they kept it up. mine was not taken care of by the previous owner and still runs well. What I have noticed with my car (108k -> 145k+) is that when things fail, the car lets you know ahead of time. I haven't been stranded yet and when something did break, it did so in stages.

- Stephen

·
Registered
39 Posts
mmhh... my car has rolled past 300k and I bought it a year ago, so far so good so I'm hoping it'll last a lot longer.

btw, I have a 4.0 Ranger that reads 60,xxx ...but I dont know if its on the first or second roll past 100k hehe.

I say you should be fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.