1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Initial mock-up

I need to:
- add mounting for the housing
- replace lens with plexi painted only on reverse (no black).
- run wiring to gauge sensors and to dash lighting circuit
- buy (removeable) piggy-back mirror attachment to use while driving

·
Registered
454 Posts
Wow ive never seen anything like this, very original! Did you just come up with the idea or using it from someone else?

·
Registered
583 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow ive never seen anything like this, very original! Did you just come up with the idea or using it from someone else?
I thought of it a while back but am just getting around to doing it. Just kind of hit me when I was actually looking at the forward facing side of the mirror housing. I'm not 100% on it yet, it doesn't look the way I invisioned yet so I have some more work to do. The gauge faces do read very nice from the drivers seat though.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dunno how inspections are in your state.. but just to let you know, you might have a problem conforming to federal vehicle regulations without a driver's rear view mirror.. If you know a police officer or inspection station.. you might want to check with them before you start running around with that configuration.
[/url]
I'm not too worried about it. In MD we don't have to take our cars in for periodic safety tests. Instead the car gets inspected once everytime it is registered to the new owner. However, for my own peace of mind I don't plan on driving around without a mirror. Part of this project is to get one of those wide view piggy back mirrors that clips to the top of the existing mirror housing. I wil use that while actually driving so I retain full visibility and I can pop it off when parked.

·
Banned
754 Posts
why nhot use a mirrored plastic, kind of like they do on some cell phones where it's shiny and reflective, but when the little screen comes on it shines right through while maintaining the mirror aspect.

that would be sick.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
I like it, very original. I also notice you have a total of 5 autometers in that car what are you monitoring?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
why nhot use a mirrored plastic, kind of like they do on some cell phones where it's shiny and reflective, but when the little screen comes on it shines right through while maintaining the mirror aspect.

that would be sick.
I don't want anything too reflective as it can reflect background images that might make it a little more difficult to read the gauge faces. I want to be able to glance at them and read them quickly without distraction. I will be changes the black background though. I don't like the contrast of the black face and the hardware. I will probably use silver paint on the final piece.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like it, very original. I also notice you have a total of 5 autometers in that car what are you monitoring?
The main cluster is an SC set with a 200KPH speedo. and the boost gauge is only being used for vac readings.
The center console cluster is for actual boost, volts, and fuel pressure.
The mirror housing will be monitoring oil and cyl. head temps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts