TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an idea I've been thinking about for a while...

I noticed that my Dad's Exploder has "puddle lights," which are just small lights on the bottom of the housing that illuminate when the interior lights (or entry system) are illuminated.
Has anybody tried to fabricate these or similar lights into a Thunderbird/Cougar mirror housing? I think it could look real smooth.
I mean, I'm surprised it wasn't an option on Ford's real luxury cars.
:D

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen anything for the birds, but that would be an awesome idea. I'd say maybe wire some small LEDs up to the courtesy lights and mount them in the small holes in the bottoms of the mirrors. The LED would sit right inside the hole, maybe protrude just a little, and illuminate in front of your door. Just my .02, LMK what you think

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
i have a spare mirror at home and i have a couple of those lamps i took off some busted explorer mirrors , when i have spare few minutes. ill see how feasbale it would to install it into the bottom

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
8ate8 said:
awwww, look at the big cute floppy ears on those tbirds..
:uppoint: that's frickin great.

I gotta give props to the guy with the bird, I'm not a huge fan of the mirrors, but I'm impressed with the amount of work he did

In the link, Tx_cat said the wire harnesses are different, but I'm sure it'd be easy to get a new wire harness and just splice the wires in. Maybe use a multimeter or wiring schematics to figure out what wire is what on both harnesses (for the new mirror and the car wiring)

cougar let us know what works out, sounds like a sweet idea

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with everyone so far... including the mirrors on the blue T-bird up there. The mirrors we have from the factory are as sleek as you can get. Why change 'em?
Here's what I've been thinking:
Even if the wiring from an Exploder is different, that won't really be too much of a road block. I'm going to take my VU meter and test that rope of wires going into the door.
With the illuminated entry option, surely one of them must be "hot" with the interior lights.
Once I find that, all I need is a decent ground, which will also be easy to locate.
If there is any reason why we can't use the Exploder lights (hard to find?), we can use LEDs like Falcon suggested.
However, I would drill new holes because the existing ones are for water drainage... which is a nice feature.
I was looking at the cheap APC lights at AutoZone the other day, but I can't fathom installing anything from APC on my car. That's repulsive. :D

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I've been eyeballing the mirrors on my 97 LSC for this very reason. I love the LED signal lights and the Puddle lamps on my LSC. :D

They look to be a close "bolt on" at first look, but upon closer inspection the molding is different between the two. So some major fabrication would be involved. :beek:

IMHO, the best bet would be to fabricate something on the bottom of the OEM MN12 mirror. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I agree the side mirrors on the blue bird are too big IMHO.

94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
I've been eyeballing the mirrors on my 97 LSC for this very reason. I love the LED signal lights and the Puddle lamps on my LSC. :D

They look to be a close "bolt on" at first look, but upon closer inspection the molding is different between the two. So some major fabrication would be involved. :beek:

IMHO, the best bet would be to fabricate something on the bottom of the OEM MN12 mirror. :thumbsup:
I was hoping you would see this thread.:wavey:
I've been wondering if the '97/'98 Mark VIII side mirrors would "fit" on our MN-12s.
Thanks for the input Don.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
cougarcragar said:
Even if the wiring from an Exploder is different, that won't really be too much of a road block. I'm going to take my VU meter and test that rope of wires going into the door.

I was looking at the cheap APC lights at AutoZone the other day, but I can't fathom installing anything from APC on my car. That's repulsive. :D
All you gotta do is pull the door panel off, the speaker out (I think), and you can reach into the door and find the plug for the mirrors to test, don't worry about the mass of wires. Like you said, just have to map out what wires are what

APC r teh sux0rs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts