TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a set of Verde 19 inch wheels for my 97 lx. The seller told me the best fitment for this car would be a 8.5 front with a +30 offset, and a 9.5 rear with a +35 offset. I did alot of research searching this forum, and while I didn't find a completely clear answer, by piecing together different threads, I felt like those would be acceptable offsets. They drilled blanks to 4.25, so I had to wait 4 weeks. So I finally got them the other day, and they are 8.5's are a +38 offset, and the 9.5's are a +45 offset, according to the boxes. Obviously not what I ordered, or what my invoice says. I'm thinking these will not work, and I'm not really interested in using spacers, whether even those would help or not. I'm still fuzzy on visualizing how different offsets would sit on the car, so I thought I'd present it to the experts. Which offsets would be best for this car, the one I ordered, or the one they shipped me? Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
The Parts Guy
7,639 Posts
Depending on the front tire size, you may need a small spacer. On the rear, you'll likely need to zip tie the e-brake cables to gain clearance. Depending on tire size, you may need a small spacer to gain room at the sway bar.

Since you have them in hand, I'd try fitting them up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I went ahead and followed your advice and bolted the rims up for a test fit. I think the rears could work but would probably need a spacer as you suggested if I were to use a 285 tire. The fronts are another story. They clear the spindle ok, but with a tire on them, I think they would definitely hit the upper ball joint. I must be missing something though because it appears it would take a significant offset change from +38 in order to clear the ball joint with a 245/40/19 tire. I don't even think a +30 would do it. The tire would be about 4 inches taller than the rim, and I've only got about 3 inches clearance above the rim. I know guys have run 8.5 inch rims with offsets in the low to mid 30's, so I'm not sure what's going on here.

·
The Parts Guy
7,639 Posts
You'll likely need a small spacer to get the tire to clear. Keep in mind that the transition from the sidewall to the tread isn't a square corner.

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
739 Posts
If they don't fit the way you want them to, send them back and ask for the correct offset. Like Rod said, your likely looking at having to use spacers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As of now, I do plan to send them back. I have contacted the seller and they are waiting to hear from Verde as to what they are going to do, since it was Verdes mistake. I'm still unsure about the ideal offsets for a 19x8.5 and 9.5 rim, so I thought I should investigate to see if these were closer to ideal than what they were supposed to have sent me. It appears the +30 and +35 would be better than the +38 and +45 that they sent me.

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
739 Posts
Go to tiresize.com, then the wheel offset calculator. You can compare the stock tires to what you want. The 15*6.5 on most V8 cars was +39

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
19,013 Posts
They won’t hit the upper ball joint, I have 19x9” brembo wheels with 255/40/19 Pirellis with +42 offset, I run 1/4” spacers with them more for aesthetics than clearance, as the fronts would actually clear if I had opted for stick on weights on the inner rim. With the spacers it works out to about +36mm in total offset, which is about perfect for a 9” wheel in this chassis. +30 on a 8.5-9” rim you start to run into the possibility of the tire rubbing the fenders.

·
Registered
646 Posts
My 20x9 +35 fit real nice. Should be able to get the 275 up front too. Right now i have 275 in back and 255 in front. I need to swap them to make sure the 275 fits so I can go to a square setup when the 255 wear out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts