TCCoA Forums banner

Misfire? Backfire? Need Help!!!!

515 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  twin turbo 281 
#1 ·
A truck totaled out my T-bird well I bought it back and even tho the front end was damaged the engine ran strong, well I took it down state and unhooked the engine and put a new front end on it, it say for about three months and I hook the engine back up and it sounds horriable. I get it home and the check engine light comes on I get that checked and it say O2 sensor its running lean so I fix that still not any better so change the plugs and 3 of them have water in them so I took the plugs out and started the car to blow the plugs out. Well in the mean time I guess the accident broke my CAT and theres pellets in my exhaust which damaged my new O2 sensor throwing another code. But its alot better but theres still a shake and I have not alot of power and once in a while you can hear it backfire. Can someone give me any ideas on whats going on. Could the plug wires be damage cause somehow the cyclendor got water in it, it was just plain water not anifreeze so I dont know if water got into cause it was out side or what.

#2 ·
well if you really wanna get it running, do all the regular maintenance, even if it may not be needed....at this point, you'd want to eliminate as many variables as possible to isolate the problem......that means all new filters, plugs, wires, no leaky exhaust/damaged cats/damaged O2s, no cracked vacuum lines

of course this is just a suggestion......i say you have a vacuum leak, or exhaust leak, or maybe even the plug wires might have gotten mixed up in the process

#3 ·
sounds like your cat might be plugged iunno lol might want to remove the forward O2s and see if it runs any better? Sounds like it could be a few things

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.