TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right now I've got stock wheels with 225/60 16s. I got a hold of a set of sable wheels. two are "naked" and two have very nice rubber on them, but they are 215/60/16s. I'm going to pull the tires off my stock rims to put on the sable rims. Out of sheer laziness (and a very bad back) I'm wondering if I could just swap two of them and put the 215s on the front. would it be a noticable difference in handling? how about looks, I know the tire would be 10mm narrower but would that show?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
right now I've got stock wheels with 225/60 16s. I got a hold of a set of sable wheels. two are "naked" and two have very nice rubber on them, but they are 215/60/16s. I'm going to pull the tires off my stock rims to put on the sable rims. Out of sheer laziness (and a very bad back) I'm wondering if I could just swap two of them and put the 215s on the front. would it be a noticable difference in handling? how about looks, I know the tire would be 10mm narrower but would that show?
I would NOT do that, but then again, I'm a BIG believer in not changing the O.E. tire size of your car - unless, of course, you're going to a bigger diameter wheel. It probably wouldn't hurt anything other than throwing your speedometer off by a few m.p.h. (the 215's will have a slightly larger overall diameter), but why would you want to put narrower tires on your car when you've already got 4 tires with a section width of 225mm?!! In my opinion, just have your tires dis-mounted from your T-Bird wheels and have them mounted onto the Sable wheels. Just my opinion!

Dennis

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dennis.
I was going to keep stock size in the back... that would keep the speedo the same, right?
the reason I was thinking of running the smaller tires up front is because they are already on the wheels. I can't afford to have them mounted and balanced. So I have to do it myself (no tire machine, tire irons, but I do have a bead breaker and a balancer) doing another two tires may not seem like a big deal (actually it would mean breaking down 4 more tires, and re-mounting two of them) but I had back surgery not too long ago, so it actually makes a big difference. Otherwise I'd just do all 4

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I'll just have to see how my back feels tomorrow. Even if I do whimp out and put the 215's up front, it will only be temporary until I have a day that my back isn't killing me. I was just worried about having to do it all at once. I know, I know, I'm old

1 - 5 of 5 Posts