TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sprayed down my engine (to clean it off obviously) and dropped by a friends house. As I was leaving, my car started to shutter. It did this when I would take off real slow, when I went in reverse, and constantly at about 39MPH. I put some Dielectric grease on the sparkplug boots (I had changed the plugs about 2 weeks ago) and on the DIS. This seemed to help a little at first but once I started going Iit started shuttering again at 39 MPH or so. It started up again when I went in reverse, and at low speeds also.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
654 Posts
Spark Plug wires ??

Hi Aaron

I would spray wd-40 (soak) your spark-plug wires
and also disconnect and spray all electrical connections
Maf sensor - Idle Position sensor - coil connections - ect.

Curt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Spark Plug wires ??

CurtisA said:
Hi Aaron

I would spray wd-40 (soak) your spark-plug wires
and also disconnect and spray all electrical connections
Maf sensor - Idle Position sensor - coil connections - ect.

Curt
[/QUO

Since I put that grease on, would I really need to spray WD on the spark-plug wires?
So you think some of the wires just got wet? How will spraying WD on all the sensors/wire connectors help?

Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,239 Posts
make sure the maf is plugged in (mine came unplugged one time and gave similar symptoms).

Also, if it is throwing a MIL that will help you out.

Might want to check for oil or gunk on the maf wires.

JH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
654 Posts
WD-40 ?

Wd-40 will displace any water that may have penetrated
your wires and or connections.

Wear saftey glasses,place a cotton wrag (old T-Shirt)
under the wires as you spray - pull boots off plugs and
spray onto spark plugs use wrag and thin screw driver
to soak up excess wd-40.

Hope this Helps Curt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
855 Posts
this has happend to a few people around here........most of the time it's because they didn't cover up the coilpacks and other items that are electrical in their engine compartment.........the solution has mostly been to wait 'till the water dries....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,247 Posts
I personally do not think spraying WD-40 on your wires and electrical connectors is a good idea, since WD-40 is a kerosene based solvent.

I would recommend drying everything off, parking the car with the engine compartment exposed to the sun, and see if that makes any difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,160 Posts
TSK TSK TSK

WELL, I will begin with "you must be very careful when cleaning your engine!" When you sprayed the water up top your engine it may drain around the spark plugs and cause spark track, which is a misfire. The spark will etch into the side of spark plug and wire and will need to be changed. But if you do not want to change them it MAY not cause any problems with drying everything and putting it back together. You may have a problem when under a load or wot. I would suggest changing the wire(s) that are affected. I have a small amount of silicone around the top of my wires to keep the water out. When I blew my intake I had coolant over all and did not get any fluid in them. Its very common to see water in the spark plug hole and cause a misfire. If I were you two words "CHANGE 'EM". I understand you just spent money on new ones but you've learned a somewhat expensive lesson. All may not have to be changed. Well this is only advice. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, appearenlty a should have put more of that grease on, and blown air (dried) around the sparl plugs. I took it into mine normal shop the day after this happend. Costed my $91 cuz they scoped the engine. All they did was dry water around the plugs, and put more of that grease on.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top