TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
drivin home tonite....all of the sudden i leave a stop sign and its missin...and smokin...and smellin rich as sheit......any ideas on what it is......coil packs?.....plug wires....?....02 sensors? i just replaced the plugs not too long ago.....so i have no idea what it is

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Do you smell raw gas?? If so either EEC just went bad hanging and injector or your cats are dead

·
Registered
251 Posts
Mine did the same thing, only once though.....
it was reallllllly bad then all of a sudden it just stopped and never came back. if u figure this out please post it back up so the rest of us can know.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I had the same issue, I replaced my EEC with a used one and its back in bidness'. Start with the eec brah, you can buy a used one from this site. Mine only cost 65 bucks including shipping.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well wtf causes our EEC's to do that? is it the same senario as my old cars (mitsu mirages) there are some things that leak electrolyte on the board and shorts stuff out hanging injectors open...or not allowing spark.....same principle here?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pulled the spark plugs today, the number 8 cylinder spark plug was the only one that appeard to be clean with normal wear to me. are you all absolutely sure it is my EEC?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I'm not saying for sure its that it was a suggestion. What do the other plugs look like?? Also i'm pretty sure if an injector is hanging you put your finger on each injector and see if you can feel the injector working.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok guys....here is another lil problem i noticed....just for the hell of it i went around the block today...and once the car gets around 3100 rpm it charges just like normal......and me and a friend unplugged my Mass air flow sensor and it also made no change....and to answer your question all the rest of the plugs were almost black....any suggestions guys i need the help please

thanks
-Marc

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Well if there black there running rich. It might be your MAF or O2 sensors upstream. Is it throwing any codes??

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
today when i was driving the car it finally threw a check engine light....but its still missing....and when i unplugged my MAF it made no changes in the running condition.....i dont understand my car as to why it runs fine once it gets up into the 3200 RPM range. i dont get it....help lol im also pretty sure its not the computer because i pulled it out today and the board is nearly perfect and the casing said 95 cougar....so it has already been replaced

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i was talkin to a guy last nite said he worked for ford for quite some time.....and he said he saw this same problem many times and said its either my 02 sensors....cats.....or a crack in my intake manifold......but are the 94 intakes....( non composite ) prone to cracking?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
get the code that it threw and post on here what it was. I'm willing to bet its either the MAF or 02 sensors. Something is making it run rich. I highly doubt its the intake manifold.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
the "guy who worked for ford" is wrong. Unless the wiring pigtail to the o2 sensor is actually damaged, which is highly unlikley, the o2 sensor would not cause that, neither would the 94-95 aluminum manifold crack. Are the cats glowing? have you tried using another EEC?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have no idea about the cats.....but the eec has already been replaced...but no i have not tried another eec......i hope to use a scanner today or tomorrow to get the code....thanks for your help guys....your great....i just wish i could be a little better on delivering the information you need to help me

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
got a MAF out of a 93 3.8 today.....and i checked my injectors too.....guess what.....injector number 8 isnt firing....therefore thats why the #8 plug was clean.....also....i believe that the car is running rich because of this situation.
the way i look at it is that since #8 isnt firing the 02 sensors are reading a "lean" condition....telling the computer to let more fuel go through the other injectors therefore richening the mixture...which is why all the other plugs are dark.

i also have come up with the conclusion as to why the car charges like normal over 3200 RPM....i believe that it is because the valves are opening and closing so fast that it does not have a chance to affect the other cylinders firing. if that made any sense whatsoever.....tuesday i will be heading to the local scrap to pick up a couple of extra injectors....and i will update then.....thank you all for your help

-Marc

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'm more inclined to think it's something else.. if a cylinder isn't firing, I believe it's read into the computer as a misfire since you're not chipped. The reason it picks up above 3000rpm is because it's burning up the excess fuel it wouldn't otherwise. Don't know how you checked the injectors, but check to make sure they're not hanging open. If you know someone else with a 94/5 4.6, see if they'll let you plug in their eec if it's not flashed, quick easy test to knock out the eec if it's not the prob.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
94V8Thunderbird said:
got a MAF out of a 93 3.8 today.....and i checked my injectors too.....guess what.....injector number 8 isnt firing....therefore thats why the #8 plug was clean.....also....i believe that the car is running rich because of this situation.
the way i look at it is that since #8 isnt firing the 02 sensors are reading a "lean" condition....telling the computer to let more fuel go through the other injectors therefore richening the mixture...which is why all the other plugs are dark.

i also have come up with the conclusion as to why the car charges like normal over 3200 RPM....i believe that it is because the valves are opening and closing so fast that it does not have a chance to affect the other cylinders firing. if that made any sense whatsoever.....tuesday i will be heading to the local scrap to pick up a couple of extra injectors....and i will update then.....thank you all for your help

-Marc

you used the wrong MAF. get a 94/95 4.6L MAF. grab an EEC also, dont assume that the injector issue is really a mechanical injector issue only.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
good eyes i didnt even notice that when he wrote it. Ya you need a 4.6 MAF. I dont know for sure but you said you took yours out and looked at the board if the eec goes bad i'm not exactly sure your gonna see it on the board. Do those 2 things that were said above. I still think its either the eec or your MAF but i'm leaning towards your eec. Also if you could get the code 2 that might help too :) good luck man. I went through a bad idle awhile back and it took me awhile to get it normal again so i know how you feel.

-Matt-

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tuesday i plan on going to the local scrap yard....i dont know how much stufff i will be able to get but when an eec goes bad you can see it....i had the same problem with my mitsu mirage and you could see burn marks on the board where the capacitors go bad....but anyways i will get another maf and i will grab an injector or two and hopefully that will solve it....if i am lucky i can pocket a couple of injectors, grab the top half off of a 94/95 airbox with the maf, and the EEC aswell

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Get a noid light (aka fuel injector test light, they only cost like $4) and plug it in to the injector harness for each cylinder one at a time with the car running. The light should flash quickly if the injector is operating properly. If it stays lit constantly, the eec is causing the injector to hang open, and you need a new eec. If all injectors are operating properly, then something else is your problem. I would NOT drive the car until you get it fixed. You could wash down the cylinders, stripping them of lubricating oil, and/or kill your cats very quickly.

I went through this a few years ago on my bird. There's no sense in blindly throwing parts at it. If you are getting the parts used anyways, there's always a chance that the ones you buy could be bad as well.

-Rob

1 - 20 of 31 Posts