TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started watching NASCAR when I was about ten or so. I remember NASCAR being on TNN, and you didn't have most of the flashy graphics and extras that you see so much when FOX airs it. Case in point : The NASCAR sexiest driver competition. It seems more and more that NASCAR is starting to care more about the soccer-mom bandwagon fans then the people who actually care about how the cars run and the mechanics behind the race.

I was a Dale Earnhardt fan right up until he died, despite his dry spell and people giving my flak becuase I was a ford enthusiast and my driver drove a GM. He was a racer in a true sense, he didn't buy into the intense commercialzation and only endorsed products he actually used. I think his son could learn a lesson from him, as he seems to care more about image than actually racing. If I watch Nextel nowadays, I root for whatever ford driver is near the front. I watch the Craftsman series more nowadays

I also miss the old days of NASCAR becuase that's when they ran the Thunderbird, you know at least it was RWD.........

So am I alone in saying this or has anyone else noticed it?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yeah, NASCAR sucks now. I don't even watch it anymore.

Thunderwoz said:
and people giving my flak becuase I was a ford enthusiast and my driver drove a GM.
I know what you mean. :rolleyes: Although the Thunderbird is the only Ford I like.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I agree with you, I too miss the TNN days. I remember the first race I ever watched from start to finish was a Bristol race. It was the one where Dale Earnhardt Sr. tried the bump and run on Terry Labonte. Terry crossed the finish line sideways and hit the wall. I remember seeing him in Victory lane celebrating with his car all smashed up. My favorite driver back then was Ernie Irvan. I would also root for Dale Jarret. I only occationally catch the races nowadays.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SVT2888 said:
I agree with you, I too miss the TNN days. I remember the first race I ever watched from start to finish was a Bristol race. It was the one where Dale Earnhardt Sr. tried the bump and run on Terry Labonte. Terry crossed the finish line sideways and hit the wall. I remember seeing him in Victory lane celebrating with his car all smashed up. My favorite driver back then was Ernie Irvan. I would also root for Dale Jarret. I only occationally catch the races nowadays.
I always thought that the short track events were some of the most exciting races NASCAR had on their schedule, That and I am one of the few people who enjoys the events at Watkins Glen and Sonoma. But another annoying trend is that all the new speedways being constructed are all huge tri-ovals. Would a little variety hurt?

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
True I love the short track and the road courses. I think that they should have more road courses, maybe even a street course. All the new cookie cutter tracks suck! If you don't show the tracks name you can't tell one from the other. Rockingham was one of my favorite tracks.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Thunderwoz said:
That's what CASCAR basically is, I guess in canada they don't have a lot of purpose built speedways so they wall off parts of toronto and let the cars loose, I saw it on SPEED once, it was actually pretty intresting to watch
Don't even get me started about SPEED. I remember how I used to always watch speed channel. That was like the only channel I watched. :(

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
well in the old days they could bump and stuff and still b fast. now the smallest bump and air doesnt flow so well around u. toyota in the truck series is kind of stupid. racing was supposed to b an american sport i thought. let the japs make thier own truck series and race over there. pretty soon ull see honda in nascar with nos and huge mufflers.
im getting off track ;)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
'You think it's bad now? After Danica Patricks's showing in the Indy 500, NASCAR is really on the bandwagon to get some woman drivers in the field - I just read a story about this in the newspaper today. It's all about the ratings, and if it takes people that would be better on Bay Watch or American Idol to get more fans/viewers, as long as they can start driving well enough to place, that's what we'll start seeing... :zsoapbox:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
johnaec said:
'You think it's bad now? After Danica Patricks's showing in the Indy 500, NASCAR is really on the bandwagon to get some woman drivers in the field - I just read a story about this in the newspaper today. It's all about the ratings, and if it takes people that would be better on Bay Watch or American Idol to get more fans/viewers, as long as they can start driving well enough to place, that's what we'll start seeing... :zsoapbox:
I read the same thing. Want to know something intresting about IRL? Your car is only as good as the amount of money you throw at it, moreso than NASCAR. One team, Ferarri I think, had their own SPECIAL FUEL for their cars. In NASCAR, at least some driver skill is involved. Didn't Shawna Robinson race in a few nextel events? yeah, went NOWHERE. Partick only got as far as she did becuase her team had a ****load of money. Give any NASCAR Team that much and they could win races with any driver.

Then again look at those IRL Cars, Pushbutton shifting? come on.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I remember watching the races on an old color console in our wreck room down stairs when I was small. It had a turn table on one side and an AM/FM stereo radio with an 8-track player on the other side. Oh yea, I forgot. NO Cable! I had to keep adjusting the electric Tenna rotor to keep the picture clear. That was when the main channels were CBS, NBC, and ABC. Thinking back, That's when I used to sharpen my Dads Broadheads too ;)

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Im with everybody else, NASCAR just dosent excite me anymore like it used to. Back when i was younger thats what i lived for, but now it has become too mainstream, the cars all look the same, there are too many rules and i prefered the espn and tnn broadcasts over the current ones.

It really isnt the same. Im also having a hard time getting used to this new generation of drivers. I miss the ole days when the big names actually ran at the front.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Yes it sucks now. The closest thing to the old days is the truck series. With more and more old timers heading over there(Mark Martin next year), the truck series is the one bright spot. The trucks are fantastic at daytona, no plates on them, so they can slingshot pass just like the old days.

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Yeah, I will definitely agree with the fact that NASCAR is not what it used to be... as it seems to be the way of a lot of things these days.

I still watch it because to me, racing is racing.... even if they put rediculous restrictions on the motors so all the cars have the same exact top speed..... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Update, Biffle just won here in Dover!, Mark Martin 3rd, Sadler 7th?, Kensith 9th?, Busch 10th. "F"astest "O"n "R"ace "D"ay!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Yeh, I've really all but stopped watching Nascar anymore. It's always the same driver's, same style tracks, etc. etc. The only way I go to (or watch) a Nascar race is with the Indiana State Marching Syacamores when they do the Brickyard 400. Anymore, IMHO, the driver's are getting way to childish. If they get bumped out of the way, get penalized, whatever, they start whining on TV (Like Harvick yesterday after the Busch race). I just watch the WRC races whenever I can anymore. Now that's some good racing!

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
...and of course you can't beat the Formula One Drags on the Speed channel.. :headbang:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Does any one remember watch Wiston Cup on ABC WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry but it died when (43) King Richard retired!!!! :(

·
Registered
67 Posts
Old loves and traditions die hard. Every week I build up an excitement about the next NASCAR race. And every week after it's over I think "ho-hum" big deal. I can't tell you how many times I've started to watch a race and after 25 laps or so I just go do something else and check in on it once-in-a-while. Lowes last week is kinda typical, 22 cautions and hours of nothing happening. NASCAR has regulated the sport to death, restrictor plates, templates, differential ratios, rules regulating every minute detail----please!! Someone gets a flat and gets off the track and it's still 10 laps of caution. Very few of the young guns can hold a candle to the class of the likes of Mark Martin. I don't think NASCAR will be around for the Busch's and others to mature like the old dogs. We'll see, the sport has to change direction or - Rest In Peace. I say all this with utmost sadness and regret. John

1 - 20 of 35 Posts