TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
8,239 Posts
its sad how the speed channel is now basically the nascar channel. Sure I like watching nascar once in a while, but we don't need 14 hours of nascar talk on the stupid channel.

Nascar did a good job of branding itself, now its way beyond its 'redneck' roots, and its super mainstream now.

Someone is getting rich.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
i miss the days when the cars were ACTUAL PRODUCTION BODIES , not this tube frame , fiberglass sided things. thats how we used to get all the really cool cars on the street, boss stangs, talledega torino's , galaxie fastbacks, 427 side oilers, w high rise heads, 427 sohc , etc. thats when racing was racing, the one who could build the best car , is who won, not this cookie cutter , restrictor plate crap . i remember wacthign all the stock cars in the early , mid eighty's and when they went to these fake bodies is where they lost me. they dont resemble the cars they are supposed to be in the slightest

·
Registered
507 Posts
i liked it a lot better before fox took over, there coverage was better, and they didnt try to have all the flashy graphics and adds. if i remember right, they got in trouble when they first started coverin nascar because they taped delayed one of the race because a baseball game ran late. infact, i dont like it when fox covers anythin, when ever the sox plays the yanks, theire announcers always favor NY, ratings are the only thing they care about

nascar hasnt been the same since the lost the man, the intimiidator was and always will be the best

·
Registered
203 Posts
I stopped watching Nascar a while back, a few years ago I even went to a race just to see if maybe it would be more exciting if I watched it in person, and honestly it's just not got the appeal it had when I was 7. Now it seems to be nothing more than a bunch of rolling billboards driven by whiners, the only exciting thing is the crashes, and they have so much safety equitpment those are not quite as interesting... I know that's a bit of a morbid way to look at it... but it's so freakin boring now, all of my non-hick friends and I have lost total interest in it.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I'm reading this thread and there is so much negativity towards Nascar racing. But it's all TRUE! They've even succomed to making reality shows. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Nascar racers have turned into IROC racers. They race identically prepared cars. If you never built a Nascar race car before, and you knew nothing about it, you could build one from the templates. Nascar "officials" say that they want to "level" the playing field. They say that it will make the races saver. And that it will make the races more exciting for the fans. This year there has been a number of "on track incidents" causing a record number of yellow cautions. They're always collecting someones race car from off the track! For me, that translates into a boring race because they're not racing. WEll, apparently (and of course we know) the Nascar "officials" truely don't know squat! Instead of drawing in more fans, they're loosing the ones they have. Even the drivers are leaving the series, or are threatening to. I wonder, could the drivers go on strike? :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
:zsoapbox: I going to show my age here, but I remember when the only time you could see a NASCAR race on tv was on Wide World of Sports, and it was delayed a week so that you only saw about 30 minutes of racing. :eek: But you could tell what make a car was then without consulting a program because they all looked different. :cool: I believe the height of NASCAR was the late 80's and early 90's when each track negotiated its own tv contract. Once NASCAR took that over and we got Fox and NBC it went south in a hurry. :mad: I still watch each week, but I no longer have the level of interest I once had. :zdunno: I am not sure what the cure for this is, or if a cure is really needed. I mean everybody is making money hand over fist these days and who wants to spoil that. I just wish I could go to a race without having to take out a bank loan for tickets, hotel, etc.. I'll get down off the box now. I'm sure most everybody has heard enough and I could go on for a while. Well as we use to say may you be in heaven for a hour before the devil knows your dead!!

Tom

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
TomT-Bird said:
I am not sure what the cure for this is, or if a cure is really needed. I mean everybody is making money hand over fist these days and who wants to spoil that. I just wish I could go to a race without having to take out a bank loan for tickets, hotel, etc.. I'll get down off the box now. I'm sure most everybody has heard enough and I could go on for a while. Well as we use to say may you be in heaven for a hour before the devil knows your dead!!

Tom
You guys realize the only logical solution is to make our own Thunderbird Racing leauge right? :D Man, Imagine how sweet that would be

·
Registered
386 Posts
I used to be a NASCAR nut; now I don't even watch the races anymore. It just went in a different direction that no longer interested me.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
thunderbirdlver said:
toyota in the truck series is kind of stupid. racing was supposed to b an american sport i thought. let the japs make thier own truck series and race over there. pretty soon ull see honda in nascar with nos and huge mufflers.
im getting off track ;)
What on earth gave you the idea racing is an exclusively American sport? Ever heard of F1, Le Mans, World Rally, DTM? Porsche? Ferrari? Cosworth? McLaren? What makes you mad, that Toyota is in the truck series or that they're just as good as the domestic makes? Nice ethnic slur, BTW.

thunderwoz said:
I read the same thing. Want to know something intresting about IRL? Your car is only as good as the amount of money you throw at it, moreso than NASCAR. One team, Ferarri I think, had their own SPECIAL FUEL for their cars. In NASCAR, at least some driver skill is involved. Didn't Shawna Robinson race in a few nextel events? yeah, went NOWHERE. Partick only got as far as she did becuase her team had a ****load of money. Give any NASCAR Team that much and they could win races with any driver.

Then again look at those IRL Cars, Pushbutton shifting? come on.
Ferrari has never raced in IRL. You're thinking of F1, and I don't know whether the fuel thing is correct. And give Danica some credit. Yes, she is overexposed, but don't let the media saturation cause you to deny her legitimate talent. She made rookie mistakes, but she led a bunch of laps, and she'll win races in the future. She's a much better driver than Shawna Robinson ever was. If you're going to mock female race drivers, you'd better not forget Shirley Muldowney and Angelle Savoie.

Now, back to the issue. NASCAR needs some work. Make the cars look like cars again and get rid of all the 1.5 mile cookie cutter tracks like Kansas and Chicago, especially when they're added at the expense of tracks like North Wilkesboro and Rockingham. But NASCAR's main problem is that today's crop of drivers just don't have a tenth of the personality of guys like Harry Gant, DW, Dale, Mark Martin, Terry Labonte, Bill Elliott, Alan Kulwicki or a bunch of the others. I just can't care about whether Jimmy Johnson beats Greg Biffle or Kyle Busch.

·
Registered
627 Posts
thunderbirdlver said:
well in the old days they could bump and stuff and still b fast. now the smallest bump and air doesnt flow so well around u. toyota in the truck series is kind of stupid. racing was supposed to b an american sport i thought. let the japs make thier own truck series and race over there. pretty soon ull see honda in nascar with nos and huge mufflers.
im getting off track ;)
Not too far off track.... Toyota is working on it. They want to run a car in NASCAR.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thunderwoz said:
I started watching NASCAR when I was about ten or so. I remember NASCAR being on TNN, and you didn't have most of the flashy graphics and extras that you see so much when FOX airs it. Case in point : The NASCAR sexiest driver competition. It seems more and more that NASCAR is starting to care more about the soccer-mom bandwagon fans then the people who actually care about how the cars run and the mechanics behind the race.

I was a Dale Earnhardt fan right up until he died, despite his dry spell and people giving my flak becuase I was a ford enthusiast and my driver drove a GM. He was a racer in a true sense, he didn't buy into the intense commercialzation and only endorsed products he actually used. I think his son could learn a lesson from him, as he seems to care more about image than actually racing. If I watch Nextel nowadays, I root for whatever ford driver is near the front. I watch the Craftsman series more nowadays

I also miss the old days of NASCAR becuase that's when they ran the Thunderbird, you know at least it was RWD.........

So am I alone in saying this or has anyone else noticed it?
But do you realize that Dale Earnhardt helped it achieve it's marketing power? Dale's persona was enigmatic to most, but he made sure once they chose the "Intimidator" monicker that his on track lived up to it. Why? Because of exposure. Whether you loved him or hated him, you knew him and it drew people to the sport. When he passed away, it drew even more people to the sport. Even the celebrities are getting in on it. I mean... Pamela Anderson?! Can she spell "restrictor plate," let alone determine when they are used. It's the vogue thing to support that sport. And... they appear to be patriots.

Yes... it's a bandwagon thing, but that's not necessarily bad. It will eventually return to it's roots, having made many people much richer, and fans angrier. I still watch, but it's not like when the black number 3 ran. Now I watch to see the 8, 20, 16 (out of curiousity more than anything else... is this guy real????) and a few other cars. Someday my sport will come back to me....

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
They lost me when they lost even the appearance of a "stock" car and started selling out to the sponsors. Last race I watched Bill Elliott won in an aero 'Bird..... and even then it was already the "Coors-Melling" Thunderbird in the post race interviews. More like a long commercial than a race to me these days.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
DanQ said:
But do you realize that Dale Earnhardt helped it achieve it's marketing power? Dale's persona was enigmatic to most, but he made sure once they chose the "Intimidator" monicker that his on track lived up to it. Why? Because of exposure. Whether you loved him or hated him, you knew him and it drew people to the sport. When he passed away, it drew even more people to the sport. Even the celebrities are getting in on it. I mean... Pamela Anderson?! Can she spell "restrictor plate," let alone determine when they are used. It's the vogue thing to support that sport. And... they appear to be patriots.

Yes... it's a bandwagon thing, but that's not necessarily bad. It will eventually return to it's roots, having made many people much richer, and fans angrier. I still watch, but it's not like when the black number 3 ran. Now I watch to see the 8, 20, 16 (out of curiousity more than anything else... is this guy real????) and a few other cars. Someday my sport will come back to me....
I realize this but believe that having someone's personality contribute to the popularity of a sport is different than having marketing tricks contribute. If earnhardt drew more people to the sport so be it, I don't really have a problem with that, what I do have a problem with is the current over-hyping and drama being attached to the sport becuase of the rampant bandwagoning. That's just my opinion though

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
NASCAR = WWE now in my opinion. I haven't watched it much since 97' (when the last actual RWD 2door car left, the T-bird)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
In my opinion, the WWE aspect of NASCAR has actually gone down a bit in the last few years. Remember a couple years ago in the Bristol night race when Jr (I think) wrecked Ward Burton, and the cameras focused on Burton waiting for Jr to come around in order to throw his helmet or footguard or whatever it was at him? All the while, of course, the network plays it up and pumps in the volume of the fans cheering. That moment, to me, was the absolute pinnacle of NASCAR as wrestling, and it was not a good moment.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts