TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this problem for a while now. When I first start the bird on a cold day, it seems to miss on a single cylinder. When it first started, I thought I'd chnge plugs, and the problem vanished for about 2 weeks. Then it started again, and was getting a little worse each day. It isn't that bad-- rev it a couple of times and it goes away. A few days ago I decided to regap my plugs- .45, I think. A little smaller than before. The problem vanished for about 6 days, but it did it a little this morning.

I'm gonna have to test my wires but I don't see why they'd fail when cold. Maybe it's one of my injectors or a harness? There wasn't much to read on the plugs-- they all looked pretty much the same. Any thoughts?

My last thought was oil blow-by. I have read about installing a fuel filter inline in the breather tube off of the valve cover.

PJ

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Inspect those plugs very closely. I ended up finding that one of my center electrodes was no longer centered. I'm not sure if it cracked or what but I had the plug in my hand twice to gap it before I ever noticed it. The thing that finally got the little bulb to go off in my head was that the plug was a different color on one side than the other. Once I replaced the plugs it runs like a new one. I also had a vacuum leak but I'm thinking you've been over those recently so that's likely not a problem.... solving the leak helped my idle but didn't fix it.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
my guess would be either a plug wire, or a faulty plug.... you have a newer cap and rotor on it right? I would take a look under the hood at night and see if there is any spark going from the plug wire to metal anywhere.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Just remembered - Is your IAC still peeking out of the hood? Could there be something going on there?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I doubt it has anything to do with the IAC. I am leaning towards bad wires. I will get around to inspecting the plugs one more time sooner or later. Probably this weekend. Then I think I may invest in some serious wires. Any suggestions?

PJ

·
Registered
443 Posts
motorsport 9mm 5.0 wires are what i got...only about 50 bucks

·
Registered
377 Posts
had the same problem. new plugs and wires solved the problem. plugs didnt look bad but changing the wires maded the big difference

1 - 7 of 7 Posts