TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 96 3.8L is missing every once in awhile when I start it. It shakes like its missing and the rpm's highly variate. Although, If I give it up a quick rev up to about 3.5-4k it comes back to idle fine! Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking fuel filter, injectors, or a sensor. I've got about 100k on it now and i got it when it was 27k i've never changed the fuel filter or injectors is now a good time too? Thanks!

-oh yeah I also forgot to tell you, it doesn't matter if its cold or hot it still does it. I could drive it for like 10mi then stop and start it again and it still does it. I've changed the plugs about 3 months ago too.

-sam

·
Registered
466 Posts
sam said:
I've got about 100k on it now and i got it when it was 27k i've never changed the fuel filter or injectors is now a good time too? Thanks!
-sam

yes, you do need to change the fuel filter after 73,000 miles.....:) jsut run some injector cleaner through it, and change the filter, that *should* fix, or atleast help fix the problem.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
when was the last time you did a tune up? You could also try cleaning your MAF sensor. You dont really have to remove the sensor, just spray some electrical parts cleaner on the little wire through the front of the housing. Also may be the IAC.

My 95 does this too, I believe it was the IAC, never found out though because my brother blew the HG's and now its in the middle of a motor swap :)

-Thomas

·
Registered
300 Posts
coolent temp sensor does funny stuff like that and is cheap and very easy to change.....unplug it and test to see if there is anyresistance between the two prongs on the sensor........u should get a reading. If it says zero replace it
Jay

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I bet IAC. But the Fuel filter is supposed to be done at least eavry 24k or every 2yrs min most do it every 15k or once a year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts