TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
happy holidays TCCOA!!!
ive been searching around and cant find what I am looking for. Maybe I need to narrow down my search more with advanced search?/ idk
can anyone plz point me in the right direction? im wondering if the mk viii front air suspension is a direct bolt on for a 97 tbird 4.6L. any help is appreciated!! I want to do front and rear, my struts are fine bcuz I installed kyb about a year ago but the front end is still a little floaty so would like to stiffin it up a little bit.
ty

·
Super Moderator
9,260 Posts
The front air springs will bolt right in. The rears will not fit due to the castings for the spring perches. You could swap to the FN10 LCAs but there is still the upper body mount to deal with. The right height sensors also mount to small fittings added to the control arms. The front FN10 UCAs can be swapped but you would need to affix the mounts to the body at the proper position

You're better off getting an aftermarket solution. To make the complete FN10 system work you'd need to run a host of additional wiring for the suspension computer (e.g. VSS), ride height sensors, vent solenoids, compressor etc.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
terminator thanks for clearing that up I was looking thru the books for part numbers etc, ur answer helped a lot. Still wondering how you got that info?? maybe I need another source other than TCCOA. I will do some more research now that you've pointed me in the right direction thanks again
XR7 yea they are floaty but still firm in the dips. I believe the springs are progressive which means when the car dips the resistance is stronger. My car is a regular LX but I still need sport shocks? even though I have a limited budget im still not happy with the kyb's in the front,.... I can just barely stand having them on there but sooner or later im gonna go nuts.
so.... final answer is go aftermarket and make it all manual....meaning no connecting to a computer etc, just compressor, air bags, and the levers to let the air out. so far so good.

·
Super Moderator
10,590 Posts
You might read this about what we're going thru for stiff front shocks.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
terminator thanks for clearing that up I was looking thru the books for part numbers etc, ur answer helped a lot. Still wondering how you got that info?? maybe I need another source other than TCCOA. I will do some more research now that you've pointed me in the right direction thanks again

so.... final answer is go aftermarket and make it all manual....meaning no connecting to a computer etc, just compressor, air bags, and the levers to let the air out. so far so good.
Because he owns a Mark .. its pretty common knowledge. Markviii.org has some more information on the matter. Good luck searching there. :geek::geek::geek::geek:

There were a few "aftermarket" setup's that used ride height sensors similar to the Mark .. probably still are. Most of this stuff nowadays is built all in to one unit - compressor, valves, to a gauge / switch assembly with pre-set functions. About 20 years ago when I was building air suspensions, we had to source out everything individually and if something didn't work / fit .. fabricate and improvise. All sorts of ways to go about this, air cylinders, airbag/shock combos with custom mounts, conventional airbags w/ remote located shocks - required adding an additional arm to stabilize the bag, etc etc .. and yes, even the factory Mark bags - we used to cut off the mount for the solenoid, tap the hole for a fitting, but it was quite small .. 1/4" is fine for grandma, but we needed 1/2" for quick fills / dumps.

Levers .. LOL .. you mean "switches" ?? Yeah, they are 12v electronically controlled solenoid valves to let the air in / out of the suspension .. the factory mark setup uses 4 fill valves and one vent, meaning that they are "computer controlled, one at a time " .. you would want 8 valves for an independent corner operation .. I liked to run my pressure switch through the ground circuit of a relay to the compressor, otherwise you would tend to find burnt wiring, heavy amp draw from a pair of Vi-air 450's … if I wanted to do it now, I would just run a Nitrogen bottle and crank up the pressure. .. start hitting the switches too much on a 150 psi limited compressor and eventually all of the air bleeds back to equalize unless you have check valves .. so when your tank is low on air, your car is stuck on the ground waiting for the compressor. Yeah I guess you could build your suspension at Home Depot if you really wanted to, plenty of stuff in the plumbing supply section. I would do mine in stainless steel bent tubing with swage-lok compression anti-vibration fittings. 💰 💰 💰 💰 💰 💰 💰 :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

… oh, I just realized you were on a "budget" … LOL .. forget everything I just said. 💸💸💸💸💸💸

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what... this guy on youtube had levers and it worked fine for him. not sure why you would connect the valves to 12v? the compressor needs power obviously but im sure you could do the rest of it without power. a manual valve with a manual switch. unless im mistaken solenoid valves seems unnecessary. the mkviii is not a direct bolt on so that's out of the question now

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
OH …. YOU TUBE …yeah .. forget my 20 years of experience with Air Suspension. (n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)

SURE .. YOU CAN BUY CRAP AT HOME DEPOT, YOU CAN INSTALL MANUAL VALVES. ABSOLTELY. LEVERS. DUH, WHAT WAS I THINKING ?? :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
THE FRONT MARK BAGS ARE IN FACT A DIRECT BOLT IN. YOU JUST HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO MAKE IT ALL WORK. IM DONE WITH THIS THREAD. GOOD LUCK WITH …. WHATEVER. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
12,027 Posts
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Take it easy Freddie! LOL

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
No kidding, caps and all! :whistle:

Joe
I KNOW, RIGHT ?? LOL .. NO, I AM NOT FREDDY. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

THIS GUY JUST LOST MY RESPECT WITH THE STUPID YOUTUBE COMMENT. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ask a question, doubt the responder, insert "I saw it on you tube" comment. Stupid idiot. The reason for 12 volt actuator valves is to put the valves as close to the airbag as possible ( Fast Bags ) … 20 year old tech .. if you want to go back in time 30 years, yes .. people had manual valves on 1/4" airlines, that was "normal". Act like I don't know WTF I am talking about. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

F'n "Levers" … like, oh … cool, lets just go to home depot and buy some threaded gate valves or quarter turn ball valves. Don't ask a plumber to plumb your air suspension. :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I've already practiced my Naruto running; I'll be moving so fast even the Agents can't tap my Matrix.

Who's with me?
I am down, but look .. that only works when you are trying to Storm Area 51, because I gotta see those aliens. :alien::alien::alien::alien::alien::alien:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't need to dump the car but I do need the air system to work. But now that you mention these 12v valves what kind of price range can I expect? you mentioned ill need 8 of them. Again, I don't need this to be dumping air I just need it to work simple as that. the guy on youtube used press fittings for his system haha very low tech... but it worked for him

regarding the mn12 does it come with the VSS computer or was that only for the mk viii? could the mkviii system work without the computer and ride height sensor? just a thought.
thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts