TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:My daughters 1998 MK VIII has sprung an oil leak. Looks to be from the front engine seal/vibration dampener seal. Does anyone know if this seal is replaceable from the front, whereas I just have to remove the vibration dampener & replace the seal? OR, do I have to dis-assemble the entire front end of engine & remove the timing chain cover to replace the seal. Just trying to get an idea of the job ahead of me & how long I'll have the car down to repair. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you in advanced.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Pretty sure you don't have to remove the cover, to replace the front seal.
Remove crank bolt and washer
Remove the dampener
R&R the seal, re-install dampener(use RTV on the key/keyway)
Install new crank bolt(stock is TTY and one-use only)

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
IF it is indeed the front seal, yes it can be replaced in the car...

Oil Seal, Front

Tools Required:

~ Crankshaft Damper Remover T58P-6316-D

~ Crankshaft Damper Replacer T74P-6316-B

~ Front Cover Seal Remover T74P-6700-A

~ Plate T88T-6701-A2

~ Crankshaft Seal Installer/Cover Aligner T88T-6701-A

Removal

1. Disconnect negative battery cable.

2. Release belt tensioner and remove accessory drive belt. Refer to «Section 03-05».

3. Raise vehicle on a hoist. Refer to «Section 00-02».

4. Remove crankshaft damper retaining bolt and washer from crankshaft.

5. Install Crankshaft Damper Remover T58P-6316-D on damper and pull damper from crankshaft.

6. Using Front Cover Seal Remover T74P-6700-A, remove front cover seal.

Installation

1. Lubricate seal bore in front cover and seal lip with clean engine oil.

2. Using Crankshaft Damper Replacer T74P-6316-B and Plate T88T-6701-A2, install front cover seal.

3. Apply Silicone Gasket and Sealant F1AZ-19562-A (WSE-M4G323-A1) or equivalent in keyway of damper as shown.

4. Using Crankshaft Damper Replacer T74P-6316-B or equivalent, install crankshaft damper.

NOTE:
Ensure key on crankshaft aligns with keyway of damper.

5. Install crankshaft damper retaining bolt and washer. Tighten to 155-165 N-m (114-121 lb-ft).

6. Lower vehicle.

7. Install accessory drive belt. If necessary refer to «Section 03-05».

8. Connect negative battery cable.

9. Start engine and check for leaks.
The most common leak however is the oil filter adapter gasket.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! I wondered about the oil filter adapter, but wet oil around & below the vibration dampener & all over the passenger strut bushing (which was brand new 11 months ago) & K member. Everything is soooo packed in there, it is really hard to determine EXACTLY where the oil is coming from. It is definitely from the front of the engine though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to go ahead & replace the oil filter adapter gasket while I'm down there. Anyone know the torque values to re-attach the oil filter adapter? Also, what is the gadget that looks like a little canister that is mounted REALLY close to the center of the vibration dampener? It has a black rubber hose (approx. 1" in diameter) attached to one end. Of course I have to move it out of the way to remove the vibration dampener, just wondering what the heck that thing is & what it does. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Anyone know the torque values to re-attach the oil filter adapter?
From the manual...

Tighten to 20 N-m (15 Lb-Ft) then tighten an additional 60 degrees
Also, what is the gadget that looks like a little canister that is mounted REALLY close to the center of the vibration dampener?
That would be the Secondary Air-Injection Diverter Valve. An emission control device used to direct air from the Secondary Air-Injection Pump to the exhaust manifolds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts