TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone still make these other than those purchase through SCP? $190 seems a bit spendy for a couple chunks of Alum.. Looked like someone was making them in Delrin a couple years ago, but the posts had dried up since then.

·
Super Moderator
3,613 Posts
Does anyone still make these other than those purchase through SCP? $190 seems a bit spendy for a couple chunks of Alum.. Looked like someone was making them in Delrin a couple years ago, but the posts had dried up since then.
I just used aluminum bar/cylinder stock. About 1" tall by about 3" in diameter. Ebay. Cheap. I did have to drill holes through them and buy the bolts to hold them in place.

·
Super Moderator
7,669 Posts
I used a perch torched out of a set of 89 stamped steel control arms.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just used aluminum bar/cylinder stock.
About 1" tall by about 3" in diameter. Ebay. Cheap. I did have to drill holes through them and buy the bolts to hold them in place.
Seems like that would be just as good as the perches and not that tough to do. Thanks for the tip ?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Dumb question here guys:

What's the difference between spring perches and spring isolators? Or is it the same thing with an interchangeable term?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dumb question here guys:

What's the difference between spring perches and spring isolators? Or is it the same thing with an interchangeable term?
The white UHMW inverted mushroom cap is the perch. The black poly ring is the isolator. The underside of the perch has a nub that fits in the hole at the bottom of the Mark VIII LCA.

20170703_183929_HDR_1080.jpg
20180919_164721_1080.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I used nothing at all
They pretty much just center the spring, right? Not really needed as the spring is never loose enough to walk around inside the control arm?

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
I wasn't comfortable with that, I used aluminum pucks.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
The white UHMW inverted mushroom cap is the perch. The black poly ring is the isolator. The underside of the perch has a nub that fits in the hole at the bottom of the Mark VIII LCA.

View attachment 34165
View attachment 34167
So based on this new info, I only have isolators and no perches. So I'll need to get isolators as well then?

$8 each, thread for a bolt.

Use a steel bolt. :) Aluminum is too soft, lol.

https://www.mcmaster.com/1610t19
So this will work just fine then? I'd imagine they'd have to be drilled / tapped to have a bolt fit?

Are there any perches available that are "ready to go" that don't cost an arm and a leg? UHMW mentioned by Irv?

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
They were expensive enough I did aluminum, lol. >$100.

I also tried an aluminum bolt, and that was hilarious.
The spring mashed ot off like toothpaste, as I jacked up the arm. I have one left, it weighs about 10grams, vs 30 for steel.
Luckily, I ordered steel at the same time. :)

I bought the bolts, tap, and pucks for ~$30 total.

Hey, did you ever hear back from Bilstein?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Hmmm.....looks like I need to add perches to my suspension build.

And no, I've not heard back from Bilstein. I'd settle for Tokicos at this point in time. At the same time though, I've been waiting for MadMartigan to finish his [awesome] build so we can start chatting on potential solutions alternative to Bilstein.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,516 Posts
They pretty much just center the spring, right? Not really needed as the spring is never loose enough to walk around inside the control arm?
Yes, without perches the springs naturally sit in the outer edges of the cups rather than dead center in them. It’s not a functional issue however, and they cannot move even at full droop with the suspension assembled. Perches IMO are a waste of money and just make installing springs over them more difficult. Urethane Cobra isolators fully compensate the ride height, which is really the only purpose custom perches truly served.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Matt is right; there's no way these can come out.

I was worried about them shifting under heavy cornering, so I went as cheap as possible.
Kinda a "belt and suspenders" thing, lol.

It still blows my mind that the lower shock bolt takes all the stress from a 'General Lee' moment.
I've had a few of those in Lazarus. :)

Reactions: Woodman

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmm.....looks like I need to add perches to my suspension build.

And no, I've not heard back from Bilstein. I'd settle for Tokicos at this point in time. At the same time though, I've been waiting for MadMartigan to finish his [awesome] build so we can start chatting on potential solutions alternative to Bilstein.
This was my next question for my build...I really don't want to put Monroe Sensacrap on a nice suspension setup. Are there really no other solutions? I see you can get KYB, but sounds like they are junk. I thought they used to be a reputable company with good products. Sounds like they are worse than stock replacements. And with lowering the car 1.5", I'd think something more in line with that usable travel, would be better anyway.

Are there any other applications that are similar enough, such as Cobra rears, for instance? I see Bill over at SCP has coil over set-ups, but them you have to buy springs to suit. Can't say i feel the need to spend over $1500 for a spring/shock set-up on a mostly Street car.:wink2:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I saw some Tokico's for 99 Cobra Mustang listed on Ebay for $118 a pair. There are also Koni adjustable.
Read ya later, Nick

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
This was my next question for my build...I really don't want to put Monroe Sensacrap on a nice suspension setup. Are there really no other solutions? I see you can get KYB, but sounds like they are junk. I thought they used to be a reputable company with good products. Sounds like they are worse than stock replacements. And with lowering the car 1.5", I'd think something more in line with that usable travel, would be better anyway.

Are there any other applications that are similar enough, such as Cobra rears, for instance? I see Bill over at SCP has coil over set-ups, but them you have to buy springs to suit. Can't say i feel the need to spend over $1500 for a spring/shock set-up on a mostly Street car.:wink2:
Read this thread:

https://forums.tccoa.com/44-suspension/178561-s4gunns-tbird-front-suspension-options-summary-bilstein-insert-diy.html

And this one:

https://forums.tccoa.com/44-suspension/145139-so-i-wanted-coil-overs-front.html

The last problem we have is finding another insert, as Bilstein has likely discoed the insert for the Mitsu3k.

I've been looking. :(

I saw some Tokico's for 99 Cobra Mustang listed on Ebay for $118 a pair. There are also Koni adjustable.
Read ya later, Nick
Only specific shocks for certain mustangs will work for the Rear only.
Mustangs have struts in the front, and they're not inserts like our koni's were.

I think I bought the last set of konis WBW; DLF and I tried to buy another set, but they were gone.

At the time, they told us we'd need 50 people to buy sets to get them made again. :(

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
KYB will work. I'd put them somewhere between Monroe / Gabriel and Tokico Blues. For what I want to do, the KYBs are not what I want. If KYB had their AGX series available for our cars, I'd jump on those.

That's why I'm not getting his coil-over setup. Just the front two alone is more than half of what I've already spent for suspension already!

At the time, they told us we'd need 50 people to buy sets to get them made again. :(
There's at least two guys on the FB TCCoA page that are interested in something better than stock replacements. Not sure if they're in this thread posting or not. You and I @Grog6, make two more. We just need 46 more!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Read through those threads. Basically scared of doing anything like that. Just about ? I'll screw something up, if inserts can even be found.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts