TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent some time yesterday looking into the MN-12 to SN-95 Bolt Circle Change for my 94 TB LX 4.6 and found out the front are no problem but not to much on the rear.I have drums back there and wondering if anyone can lead me to the right direction on how to do the swap in the rear?I have been searching for wheels for a while and finally found the style I wanted for my TB.The wheels are 18x9 and need a little TLC,but worth it for what I got them for.I am hoping there isnt going to be a problem with the rear swap.If so they will be up for sale:(

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Those look like they need alot of work. I hope you got them real cheap

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
rears swap

Hello

Since you are getting 18's you can find a set of Cobra rear hubs & rotors
Plus a set of fasted's relocation brackets.

You will also need rear disc spindles, calipers & liners.

I purchased a 95 rear K complete. Needed the pumpkin.:zdunno:
I later added the rear discs.

Sent out my rear hubs to: irsmachining.com
redrilled A set of T-bird rear rotors. All stock parts.
All fit under 15" wheels. (I must run 15" steels.)

:wavey:

·
Banned
998 Posts
The rear is not cheap by no means. And you want to convert to disc right?

You have to get the IRS spindle from the 99-04 Cobra Mustang to get the bolt pattern and then you have to have the cobra hub pressed out and the Tbird hub pressed in. Then you have to re-drill your Tbird rotors to the SN95 bolt patteren.

It cost me around $500 to do the swap.

Use the tech info in TCCOA to get the parts and instruction you will need.

I have pics in my photobucket on the swap. also added PBR front calipers to. :)

OH Good Luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am thinking of going to junk yard and getting what I can from a TB or Couger,what year am I looking for?Is it 95 and up?The junk yards here have alot of TB's and Cougars and a few Stangs.Would it be best to buy it all new?just trying to save a few dollars for the Jmod also.Thanks for the good info,I like the challenge just dont like the cost of course.

·
Registered
570 Posts
You have to get the IRS spindle from the 99-04 Cobra Mustang to get the bolt pattern and then you have to have the cobra hub pressed out and the Tbird hub pressed in. Then you have to re-drill your Tbird rotors to the SN95 bolt patteren.
Impossible, the Cobra rear uprights (knuckles, spindles) will not fit a Thunderbird IRS. Likely that you just didn't explain it very well. All you need to get from a '99-'04 Cobra are the hubs.

Scars...you need a T-Bird disc brake spindle with a Cobra hub.
Correct.

Here's a link to the article I wrote on the subject.

http://home.comcast.net/~dlfraleigh/Article.html

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I am thinking of going to junk yard and getting what I can from a TB or Couger,what year am I looking for?Is it 95 and up?The junk yards here have alot of TB's and Cougars and a few Stangs.Would it be best to buy it all new?just trying to save a few dollars for the Jmod also.Thanks for the good info,I like the challenge just dont like the cost of course.
Doing it over I would say just look for a MK8. It's somewhat late now to research for you what year and....! May someone jumps in on it or you just shoot a PM to DD for some help and hope he's not to busy and has time to help. The info is here somewhere why the MK8 Axles. From a U-Pick its not so much $$ to get the Axle and knuckle setup. Having those parts it's up to you what to do. You could get new Hub's and some cheapo Mustang rotors off ebay.

Impossible, the Cobra rear uprights (knuckles, spindles) will not fit a Thunderbird IRS. Likely that you just didn't explain it very well. All you need to get from a '99-'04 Cobra are the hubs.

Correct.

Here's a link to the article I wrote on the subject.

http://home.comcast.net/~dlfraleigh/Article.html
:zwthstpd:
Sorry, but what I'm not getting here? If there where a 99-04 cobra to strip, would it not be easier to get the knuckle with the Hub and the rotor and be done?
Aside the Fast Ed stuff and MK8(or MN12 w. Disk)axles and new bearings?

1999-2004 Cobra M-5970-A Knuckles , Original equipment on 1993-98 Mark VIII, 1989-97 Thunderbird, and 1999-2004 Cobra
http://www.jegs.com/i/Ford-Racing/397/M-5970-A/10002/-1?parentProductId=762762

Thanks'

-Maic

·
Registered
557 Posts
That Jegs/Ford Racing ad is very confusing because all you are buying is M-5970-A, which is the MN12/FN10 spindle, but I'll break it down...

The spindle...http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=7828
The hub...http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=8397
The bearing...http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=7818

You'll see that the spindle is original equipment for MN12/FN10, while the hub is 99+ Cobra, and the bearing is the same for all.

With only adding the punctuation, the ad reads like so;

M-1109-A - 5 x 4.5" bolt circle, 2.775" wheel pilot hub for popular Mustang size wheels. Should be used with IRS knuckle M-5970-A. Original equipment on 1999-2004 Mustang Cobra

M-1215-A - For use with kit car IRS hub M-1109-A. Original equipment on 1993-98 Mark VIII, 1989-97 Thunderbird, and 1999-2004 Cobra

M-5970-A - Knuckles for use in kit car IRS systems. Hub not included! Use with M-1109-A. Sold separately. Includes M-1215-A. Original equipment on 1989-97 Thunderbird and 1993-98 Mark VIII

·
Banned
998 Posts
Yes Joe I am using new Cobra hubs with the Tbird center hub pressed in so they fit our axles.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yes Joe I am using new Cobra hubs with the Tbird center hub pressed in so they fit our axles.
I knew you were using Cobra hubs but earlier you mentioned that he needed Cobra spindles. I wasn't 100% sure if they worked so that's why I asked about the spindles. What do you mean the "Tbird center hub pressed in", the Tbird bearing?

·
Banned
998 Posts
The center section that has the splines. The parts in my picture. Have to be pressed out of the spindles...sorry my bad for saying it that way.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the info,it seems the tires are going to cost me more than anything else.So basically get some of the rear stuff off of a TB or Mk8 with disk brakes,and then the Cobra parts I need.The yard I go to here ,if I ask for the spinals they will give me all the parts on the spinal including rotors ,calipers.They don't like to waste time taking that stuff off and that saves money and left over parts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello

You don't need the Cobra parts to convert to rear disc.

You only need Cobra parts if you go over sized on the rear brakes.

:wiggle:
Thanks,I intend to go all the way eventually,but good to know I dont have to right now.

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you change the bolt circle in the rear, it's simpler to use the Cobra rotors and a relocation bracket than to redrill and enlarge the center bore in T-Bird rotors, even if you don't upgrade the front brakes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you change the bolt circle in the rear, it's simpler to use the Cobra rotors and a relocation bracket than to redrill and enlarge the center bore in T-Bird rotors, even if you don't upgrade the front brakes.
Thats the way I will be doing it,is anyone still making the brackets for sale?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts