TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, it's been like forever it seems since my last post... Anyway, here is my issue. I recently, within a year or so, replaced a bunch of the front suspension on my MN12 and am now contemplating the purchase of a 95/96 Gen1 FN10 as my 4six is getting ready to give up the ghost and the body isn't looking so great anymore either. I'm wondering which suspension parts can be swapped between the two, if any, so as to remove some of the indecision about the new purchase... As always, any help would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Upper control arms won't work if the Mark still has air system, ok if converted to springs. The Mark UCA has a stud on it for the height sensor that the T'Bird arm doesn't have. Front spring/shock is bolt in replacement for air spring up front if you want to convert. Rear is a little more involved.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I was reading that there are problems with the air ride on those vehicles. Should I consider swapping my shocks over to the mark to avoid this issue or can it be resolved without tooo much hassle? I like the idea of the smooth ride... Also, do you know if the other parts are swappable, ie: LC arms, strut mount bushings, rack and pinion, (...dangit, what the heck is the name of the dealios that connect the rack to the spindle?) Anyway, and those things?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I was reading that there are problems with the air ride on those vehicles. Should I consider swapping my shocks over to the mark to avoid this issue or can it be resolved without tooo much hassle? I like the idea of the smooth ride...
There aren't problems... only that the parts wear out under use (or abuse), in particular the rubber springs begin to leak. If they're left to leak long enough the compressor will burn itself up from overwork trying to keep them filled but that's usually the fault of the owner and not the compressor. You're the only one can say if the "issue" can be resolved since it's dependant upon your taste and budget. Replace the airsprings and maybe the compressor (not hard to do yourself) and you're on your way to another 100k or so before you need to mess with them. I'd add a spider valve from American Air if doing the compressor too. Doing this isn't cheap however. The coils swap is cheaper and should in theory eliminate the need to worry with it for the remaining life of the car since metal springs take much longer to spring leaks and changing the shocks when they wear can be done without changing the springs. The ride is an intangible and only your buttometer can say if it's "worth" it to keep the air.

Also, do you know if the other parts are swappable, ie: LC arms, strut mount bushings, rack and pinion, (...dangit, what the heck is the name of the dealios that connect the rack to the spindle?) Anyway, and those things?

Thought I answered that but... maybe I should've said, only the upper control arms won't swap if you keep the air ride. There seems to be some debate on the steering rack too (see other thread)

This stuff has been covered a lot both here and the Mark forums. Search button will turn up all you ever wanted to know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts