TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys i was wondering if anybody had any subframe braces they dont need anymore. Mainly looking for subframe braces similar to the JL braces (RIP)

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I made some out of scrap metal a few years ago and honestly, I don't think they were worth it.

This is not as noticeable as putting a strut tower brace on a 90s honda or replacing your rear swaybar on this tbird.

If you have a welder, it's an easy project with a few plates of scrap metal, some grade 8 bolts, and some rectangular stock.
You are better off putting your money somewhere else.

-g

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!! I was asking because almost everybody always says how much stiffer the body is with those braces. I do plan on making my own kmember brace, those look pretty easy to make.
I have seen alot of different types of subframe connectors tho. Some are just straight pieces that connect the front unibody to the rear irs cradle. And i have seen the JL braces and these look a bit more promising.
So its best for me to weld up my own braces?

The brace in the pic, is custom and 1 full bar that connects the the whole kmember to the frame instead of 2 pieces like the SCP

Attachments

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
I made some out of scrap metal a few years ago and honestly, I don't think they were worth it.

This is not as noticeable as putting a strut tower brace on a 90s honda or replacing your rear swaybar on this tbird.

If you have a welder, it's an easy project with a few plates of scrap metal, some grade 8 bolts, and some rectangular stock.
You are better off putting your money somewhere else.

-g
Any pics of what you made?

These made a huge difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Racecougar your subframe connectors are connected from the front anybody to the rear irs? Not to the body itself?
I would think some solid bushings on the IRS would make this even better

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
Mine bolt to the front frame rail stubs and the rear subframe itself. I run Delrin bushings in the IRS.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks man, your ride gets me motivated to fix mine up. I plan on doing all the suspension i can to my bird then after if handles great I'll do motor stuff.

So far i think i want to swap a 6r80 from the new mustangs and f150. Its a 6speed trans that can hold over 600whp. And the controller to use is the US shift or power by the hour. I have read the 6r80 makes the 3.27 gears act like 4:10's in the first 3 gears and after its the regular 3.27's.
The 6r80 needs to be from a v8 mustwng or f150.

In this post you make and sell these brace?
Are your still up to the task of making from braces? From your post these make a GREAT upgrade. Even tho i love my cloud suspension in my bird right now id rather have a corner carving bird out here in socal.
Your time is appreciated!

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,266 Posts
If this is a stock car, those braces (other than sub frame connectors race cougar has) are not worth the Hassle.

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
Thanks man, your ride gets me motivated to fix mine up. I plan on doing all the suspension i can to my bird then after if handles great I'll do motor stuff.

So far i think i want to swap a 6r80 from the new mustangs and f150. Its a 6speed trans that can hold over 600whp. And the controller to use is the US shift or power by the hour. I have read the 6r80 makes the 3.27 gears act like 4:10's in the first 3 gears and after its the regular 3.27's.
The 6r80 needs to be from a v8 mustwng or f150.

In this post you make and sell these brace?
Are your still up to the task of making from braces? From your post these make a GREAT upgrade. Even tho i love my cloud suspension in my bird right now id rather have a corner carving bird out here in socal.
Your time is appreciated!
A 6R80 would be a solid upgrade. Josh Garringer would be the guy to talk to, as he installed one behind his blown Coyote in his Tbird.

Sorry, but I no longer produce parts for this platform. The market just isn't there anymore.

·
Super Moderator
10,895 Posts
I have an uninstalled set of those subframe connectors, that these guys made.
I ended up with two sets; one is installed, the other I bought just before JL was killed.

They're freaking heavy, and expensive to ship.

What are you interested in paying?

Racecougar, I don't have the messages anymore for what you charged me; what did you sell these for? :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey Grog,

If the OP doesn't want those, I'd be very interested. Obviously it's his post so he's got priority and I'm not in a huge hurry. LMK

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Zep5.0 hey bro if you want em go ahead and PM @Grog6 for the braces im not planing on getting em til my taxes came around. Worst comes to worst i have a buddy who can weld me some up, im a bit stuck on how the rear connects. Is there another plate on top sandwiching the lower half to the IRS?

·
Registered
169 Posts
As thick as the sub is I don't know if there would be a need for the plate on top. Just washer, lock and nut would likely do it. A plate wouldn't be
a bad idea to transfer the load the most though.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm trying to decide if I want the SCP braces on the front, or have someone help me fan up a set as well. I'm not sure both sets are needed. Is think the k to the front sub is where the real gain is. Not sure the k to front really does much.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you check my other picture i posted a while back. I found this guy who made this set. Its a str8 piece that connects all 3 points. From the pic you can see where to weld it up at. I plan on doing this one. Looks pretty easy to make

Attachments

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
I made my K-member braces such that they capture the front frame rail rather than relying on a tab welded to the frame rail.

No need for a top plate at the rear subframe. There is one factory hole that is utilized, and one you have to drill, per side.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Rear of the k brace welded to the sub? I wondered if there was enough rigidity to bolt the brace there or not. Would be nice to be able to quickly remove, but not likely to happen much. I'd like to think when my engine is done it's staying there for a while ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts