TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,823 Posts
It's not often I click a Jalopnik link.

Looking at the comments, I better not try selling my similarly built Cougar at $19k I guess, Jalopnik dweebs might chime in :tongue:

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a healthy dose of support for it; it has had extensive work done.
That's $19,000 Canadian, BTW. At today's exchange rate, you're looking at $15,428USD.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Im pretty surprised at the support it got on there, more exposure is always a good thing. If these cars appreciate, they won't disappear off the streets nearly as fast.

·
Super Moderator
7,490 Posts
Nice bird, but not $15K nice, probably more like $8k nice. Oh, and where did they find a 2002 Cobra to steal brakes off of? Jalopnik should know better than to print that!

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
I thought it was pesos at first.

I have a 2001 lightning for asking $15k Canadian.

·
Super Moderator
16,823 Posts
Im pretty surprised at the support it got on there, more exposure is always a good thing. If these cars appreciate, they won't disappear off the streets nearly as fast.
I don't know if I'd call an article questioning whether someone is on crack to sell or buy one good exposure, nor do I consider the vast majority of the comments being disparaging good exposure, accurate or not.

Then again, it's Jalopnik, where the greatest car ever made for most regular readers is a brown shooting brake Volvo with a stick:tongue:

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't you mean a Miata...

With all that's been put into it, I think it's fair to say that the car is worth a pretty penny. Besides, the seller is likely expecting to negotiate down a little. I'm sure someone out there will find this car and love it.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I don't know if I'd call an article questioning whether someone is on crack to sell or buy one good exposure, nor do I consider the vast majority of the comments being disparaging good exposure, accurate or not.

Then again, it's Jalopnik, where the greatest car ever made for most regular readers is a brown shooting brake Volvo with a stick:tongue:
They have "Nice Price or Crack Pipe" articles every day. That's been a thing since Murilee Martin wrote for them. At least people are thinking about and writing about our cars, its something.

·
Super Moderator
16,823 Posts
It's something alright... I didn't realize we were such a charity case, thanks bloggers for throwing the Tbird a bone! I'm sure our cars are all collectively worth 3 pennys now that 4 Jalopnik commenters think it's worth it(even though I doubt a single "nice price" user is writing a out a check right now).

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
It's something alright... I didn't realize we were such a charity case, thanks bloggers for throwing the Tbird a bone! I'm sure our cars are all collectively worth 3 pennys now that 4 Jalopnik commenters think it's worth it(even though I doubt a single "nice price" user is writing a out a check right now).
They don't have to think THAT car is worth it to pay more attention to MN12s in general. There are quite a few comments in there like "I didn't know these were rear wheel drive" or "I didn't know these had independent suspensions" or "I didn't know these were manual" or any combination.

Perhaps those people will be more inclined to include our cars in a craigslist search or consider the performance possibilities.

·
Super Moderator
16,823 Posts
If THAT car doesn't get people to pay attention I don't have much faith anything else will, that SC is CLEAN. I saw most of the comments (which is a feat with that site's ****ty format), I saw the positive ones, but also quite a few commenters saying "ugly ugly ugly", "why waste the money on a 92 Tbird", "I'd rather have the Cobra the parts came from", "trailer trash" and many others by far. Most of the positive comments I saw were from people who were already aware of the cars and always kind of liked them, I saw 1 ONE commenter say they didn't know they were RWD.

You're giving Jalopnik way too much credit if you think this will inspire anyone. Sadly these cars are extinct and nobody cares about them. Low aero/jellybean styling is way out of fashion, the competent for 1989 handling is at best average by today's standards, they're rattletraps, they have no power, and even being RWD isn't that enticing as there's a bazillion alternatives on the used market now a days, spanning from Mustangs to G35s, all of which are faster and more modern.

The window these cars had to become something noteworthy to enthusiasts has passed. They were something special in the 90s and early-mid 00s since there really were no cars like them - you wanted RWD, you had to squeeze yourself into a Ponycar(which many people of height and girth loathed in the F body/SN95 days), or spend bucks on a Bimmer. That was the period these cars should have gained recognition, but they didn't. The reason being as much credit Ford deserved for these cars in terms of forward thinking design, they were absolutely plagued by poor structural design, horrendous rustproofing, awful paint, shoddy transmissions, fragile ball joints and terrible lighting to name a few, stuff that generally plagued many other cars from the era as well of course, but when it comes to finding a good project car to start with, your chances were low then and they're WAY lower today. TCCoA is a good barometer for these cars health since our traffic is parallel to the interest, and indeed it was at it's absolute peak around the time I joined. Then the S197 came out, boasting way better ergonomics than the New Edge, then Chrysler launched the RWD LX platform cars, Infiniti came out with the G35 and then the new Camaro, and Challenger. Not to mention the general swell in power in just about everything else, matching or trumping the top MN12 engines just for the base engines. Plus the fact that the stylistically similar 83-88 cars haven't developed a following, despite EVERY Mustang upgrade fitting directly, doesn't bode well for the much more specialized MN12.

I love these cars though, but it takes the same kind of dedication it took to love a Studebaker Hawk in the heart of the Muscle car era and similarly these will always be a cult vehicle at best.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
If THAT car doesn't get people to pay attention I don't have much faith anything else will, that SC is CLEAN. I saw most of the comments (which is a feat with that site's ****ty format), I saw the positive ones, but also quite a few commenters saying "ugly ugly ugly", "why waste the money on a 92 Tbird", "I'd rather have the Cobra the parts came from", "trailer trash" and many others by far. Most of the positive comments I saw were from people who were already aware of the cars and always kind of liked them, I saw 1 ONE commenter say they didn't know they were RWD.

You're giving Jalopnik way too much credit if you think this will inspire anyone. Sadly these cars are extinct and nobody cares about them. Low aero/jellybean styling is way out of fashion, the competent for 1989 handling is at best average by today's standards, they're rattletraps, they have no power, and even being RWD isn't that enticing as there's a bazillion alternatives on the used market now a days, spanning from Mustangs to G35s, all of which are faster and more modern.

The window these cars had to become something noteworthy to enthusiasts has passed. They were something special in the 90s and early-mid 00s since there really were no cars like them - you wanted RWD, you had to squeeze yourself into a Ponycar(which many people of height and girth loathed in the F body/SN95 days), or spend bucks on a Bimmer. That was the period these cars should have gained recognition, but they didn't. The reason being as much credit Ford deserved for these cars in terms of forward thinking design, they were absolutely plagued by poor structural design, horrendous rustproofing, awful paint, shoddy transmissions, fragile ball joints and terrible lighting to name a few, stuff that generally plagued many other cars from the era as well of course, but when it comes to finding a good project car to start with, your chances were low then and they're WAY lower today. TCCoA is a good barometer for these cars health since our traffic is parallel to the interest, and indeed it was at it's absolute peak around the time I joined. Then the S197 came out, boasting way better ergonomics than the New Edge, then Chrysler launched the RWD LX platform cars, Infiniti came out with the G35 and then the new Camaro, and Challenger. Not to mention the general swell in power in just about everything else, matching or trumping the top MN12 engines just for the base engines. Plus the fact that the stylistically similar 83-88 cars haven't developed a following, despite EVERY Mustang upgrade fitting directly, doesn't bode well for the much more specialized MN12.

I love these cars though, but it takes the same kind of dedication it took to love a Studebaker Hawk in the heart of the Muscle car era and similarly these will always be a cult vehicle at best.
I agree with everything you say, it makes complete sense.

However, following your logic, the people on Jalopnik also wouldn't like box Volvos, e24s, e28s, e30s, e36s, W201s, s13s, s14s, G-bodies, B-bodies, or Panthers.

the competent for 1989 handling is at best average by today's standards, they're rattletraps, they have no power, and even being RWD isn't that enticing as there's a bazillion alternatives on the used market now
That can be said about every single car I just mentioned, all of which are appreciating in value and rather popular among Jalops.

All these people on Jalopnik are lamenting the loss of affordable rear wheel drive cars, and how those cars are becoming less attainable. Here we have a great alternative and yet they choose to ignore our platform. It doesn't make any sense.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts