TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or does it seem like SN95 mustang made love to a taurus and had an MN12?
-Rob

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
No.

THIS car gave rise to the MN12. Read about it. Ford modeled the MN12 after the BMW 6-series-- independent suspension, the slight cant of the instruments and HVAC and radio towards the driver.

See the resemblance in the shape?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it is a roomy 2 door v8 with fwd pattern wheels+hubs. You think it was a taurus+BMW that made the thunderbird? I dont know much automotive genetics. The bird in the pic is pretty sexy, btw
-Rob

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Well it is a roomy 2 door v8 with fwd pattern wheels+hubs. You think it was a taurus+BMW that made the thunderbird? I dont know much automotive genetics. The bird in the pic is pretty sexy, btw
-Rob
V8? you don't know your MN-12 history.
Ok some post the MN-12 prototype pic.

Until then the MN-12 was to be basically the Probe. Further it was built solely for NASCAR so the body lines were more important than running gear--why until 91 a V8 was not an option, Ford built it to take a 351W but didn't put one in. The Superbird and Thunderbird were IMO the only cars solely built to race and only one was a production success.

·
Super Moderator
10,404 Posts
Yeah, looking at my engine bay, I can tell it was NOT made for a mod motor. :)

A 351 looks tiny in there... A mod motor is shoehorned beyond belief.

:rolleyes:

Maybe I should stop cursing the guy who designed the oil filter layout; he probably didn't have a choice...

·
Super Moderator
9,180 Posts
Maybe I should stop cursing the guy who designed the oil filter layout; he probably didn't have a choice...
:D :D :D That's why my girlfriend's dad always enjoys taking his car to those oil change joints who guarantee it being done in xx minutes. The expressions on all the mechanics... Can't say I blame them; only reason I can do it myself is because my forearms are so darn skinny. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
16,821 Posts
The mn12 wasn't meant for a V8 period, The 3.8 is the motor the platform was built around. The 5.0's had hood and accessory drive clearance issues from the start, thats why it didn't show up until 91.

The 351w won't even fit under a stock hood, so I dont know where you get the idea ford intended to use that.

And we used a fwd bolt pattern because it was more cost effective to share the rear hubs with taurus front hubs than use one with a different pattern.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
The mn12 wasn't meant for a V8 period, The 3.8 is the motor the platform was built around. The 5.0's had hood and accessory drive clearance issues from that start, thats why it didn't show up until 91.

The 351w won't even fit under a stock hood, so I dont know where you get the idea ford intended to use that.

And we used a fwd bolt pattern because it was more cost effective to share the rear hubs with taurus front hubs than use one with a different pattern
What did Mr. Elliot have under his hood? Read it in context please.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
"Mr. Elliot's" Thunderbird was not exactly stock either.. neither the chassis, nor the drivetrain. (though I think he did race back when the bodies were still stock.. not sure on that)

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont know much about the history of MN12 just how to play with them :) Interesting things popping up in this thread though. You guys are crazy, the modular engine fits the t-bird like a glove ;) I would love to see an MN12 prototype pic!
-Rob

·
Registered
2,638 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
"Mr. Elliot's" Thunderbird was not exactly stock either.. neither the chassis, nor the drivetrain. (though I think he did race back when the bodies were still stock.. not sure on that)
I was referencing the stock body, hence the shape and two doors, and not the rest of the car. Since the drivetrain and chassis didn't have to be stock at that time. But I still think we should take pride in the fact that the MN-12 holds the NASCAR top speed record, something these new cars never have a chance of reaching (regs. and aerodynamics).

Circa 1986 ;)

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/cougarman1/1986tbirdmule.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Not the prototype I was referencing; I was thinking of the one that looks like a Probe only seen in b/w.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Not the prototype I was referencing; I was thinking of the one that looks like a Probe only seen in b/w.
You mean the Hatchback Mn12 with the swoop down front end ??? The pictures are in the Soaring Spirit book.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm not a NASCAR fan or expert, but Bill Elliott drove a 1987 tbird to the record. That would 'make' it a fox, not an mn12. Correct?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's freaking awesome. I wonder what differences there are between that one and 89. There should be a thread for posting only prototype mn12-related pics. I have never seen anything about a probe!
-Rob

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I'm not a NASCAR fan or expert, but Bill Elliott drove a 1987 tbird to the record. That would 'make' it a fox, not an mn12. Correct?
Yes, but that wasn't the only year that he raced Thunderbirds.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I dont know much about the history of MN12 just how to play with them :) Interesting things popping up in this thread though. You guys are crazy, the modular engine fits the t-bird like a glove ;) I would love to see an MN12 prototype pic!
-Rob
"The modular engine fits the T-Bird like a glove"?!!

Obviously you've never tried replacing your negative battery cable or heater core or even changed your oil filter - have you?!! :)

Dennis

1 - 20 of 40 Posts