TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a nice 91' XR7 for sale locally with a 302 and a blown head gasket for a good price. Im looking to get another big for with a V8 since my modded marquis has been passed onto some new owners. What should I look out for on a 91' MN12 in terms of common problems? I am planning some mild engine mods when I repair the head gasket but beyond that just using it as a daily driver.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
The first thing to check is the suspension. Look at the upper control arms above the front wheels and see if the seals on the ball joints are broken. If so, it is time for new ones. When those go your car falls down onto the front wheels while bending the fenders. (I hear it really bites when it happens while driving down the road!) For everything else you probably want to jack the car up to inspect: lower control arms, front and rear strut bar bushings, swaybar links and bushings and tie rod ends.
You also want to check the rear suspension but I am not so familiar with it as I haven't torn into mine yet.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
nitroracer said:
Do MN12's have riveted or pressed in ball joints?
Pressed in. Most people just replace the whole arm, which comes with new bushings and ball joints already installed.

Go take a look at the sticky in the suspension section about suspension noises.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Rocker panels seem to be an issue in northern states.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The AOD needs to be rebuilt no matter what , even if it's running great. Water pump, get a high volume . New O2 sensors and spark plugs too .

·
It is nice
885 Posts
-ignition switch if not replaced with updated version: fire hazard
-wiper motor screws come loose; happened to mine in a terrential downpour they froze up on southern state pkwy; not good.
-gauge cluster... had two go out on my 91cougar
-tv cable needs grommet checked often.
-brakes... wear out fast just like all years.
-rust, yellowing bumper & headlights.

can't think of much more right now never had a 5.0 but don't think they had many problems at all engine-wise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts