TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My feeling is YES!!! I have been seeing less and less MN12 bodied Thunderbirds and Cougars as of late in my area of Florida, and the majority of what I see are someones old "beater" cars driven just to get from point a to point b.
We have kept our '97 TBird SPORT in what I call supreme condition even though it stays outside, mind you it had been garage kept for the first half of its life.
We even have taken it to the Silver Springs all Ford roundup the past 2 years, and have gotten to park with the other TBirds from 1955 to present day models, including a few Super Coupes.
Lots of prople mistake our car for a Super Coupe because of the unique paint color (Opalescent Pearl) and the factory spoiler, and its wheels that closely resemble the SCs wheels.
Our car has been kept all stock, and original with just 83k miles on it now, and hopefully this year before the SS show I'll have time to clean & detail the engine.
Just think about it....in 20 years the 1997s will be 30 years old and their will be companies slowly starting to reproduce parts for them, and the special models such as the SCs and XR7s and anniversary models will be all that much more valuable.
Take a look at the early Mustangs, and the 1955-57 Thunderbirds!!

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
My feeling is YES!!! I have been seeing less and less MN12 bodied Thunderbirds and Cougars as of late in my area of Florida, and the majority of what I see are someone’s old "beater" cars driven just to get from point a to point b.
We have kept our '97 TBird SPORT in what I call supreme condition even though it stays outside, mind you it had been garage kept for the first half of its life.
We even have taken it to the Silver Springs all Ford roundup the past 2 years, and have gotten to park with the other TBirds from 1955 to present day models, including a few Super Coupes.
Lots of prople mistake our car for a Super Coupe because of the unique paint color (Opalescent Pearl) and the factory spoiler, and its wheels that closely resemble the SCs wheels.
Our car has been kept all stock, and original with just 83k miles on it now, and hopefully this year before the SS show I'll have time to clean & detail the engine.
Just think about it....in 20 years the 1997s will be 30 years old and their will be companies slowly starting to reproduce parts for them, and the special models such as the SCs and XR7s and anniversary models will be all that much more valuable.
Take a look at the early Mustangs, and the 1955-57 Thunderbirds!!
Just keep telling yourself that. :D :thumbsup:

I'm sorry, but you can't compare the MN12 platform to the early Mustangs or the early thunderbirds. The Mustang started the "Pony wars" and the early Thunderbirds were targeting the early Vette. What is "special" about a mass produced, generic (in the scheme of things), general transportation, heavy car that was never considered anything more than a pseudo sporty (and that is being kind) grandpa’s car?

Then think about the people that will be buying “classics” in 20 years… They will pay more for a “classic” modified Honda Civic (cough cough “rice burner” cough cough) than they will for a 30 year old grandpa car.

But I might be wrong, but that is what my crystal ball is showing. :thumbsup:

Here’s a good example:
My 73 Cougar Base Convertible: (originally a 351C-2V/FMX and A/C)(Quantity produced: 1,284)
Average NADA “collectable” retail: $16,380

A 73 Cougar XR-7 Convertible: (351C-4V/C6 and A/C)(Quantity produced: 3,165)
Average NADA “collectable” retail: $23,625

They produced almost three times as many XR-7’s convertibles as they produced the base model convertible, but the XR-7’s are worth $7000 more. Unfortunately, you can’t apply logic to trying to figure out what is going to be a “classic”. :bawling:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow!!! I never would have thought I'd get such negitive responses!!
Someone has to preserve the MN12s for generations of the future, or there will be none left!
Have you folks ever seen the mint all original ultra low mile SC that is owned by one of the owners of NPD here in Florida, I think it has under 100 miles on it.
I guess I've really got nothing to substanciate (sp) my feelings, but that is how I feel.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
yea, ill try to preserve my 95 the day it stops giving me ****, honestly i love these cars, but after owning this 95, ive lost my respect for the "preservable image" of the MN12. now my 96 with 72k miles on it... that i might consider preserving, just not this 95...

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Here’s a good example:
My 73 Cougar Base Convertible: (originally a 351C-2V/FMX and A/C)(Quantity produced: 1,284)
Average NADA “collectable” retail: $16,380
funny, my 73 in prestine condition has the same value as yours(on nada).....but, will I ever see that kind of money from this car....hell no.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Just think about it....in 20 years the 1997s will be 30 years old
just because a car is old dosnt make it valuable, these cars arnt limited production by any means and that really is the determining factor on value. i mean look at the early mustangs coupes vs fastbacks made wayy more coups than fastbacks and price today reflects that

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I appreciate your enthusiasm but I kindly remind you, don't be naive.

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
I doubt it. I always see them being crushed at junkyards. Nobody wants them now, but look at some other cars, which at once were unpopular pos's such as the 1958 Plymouth Fury and Belvederes.

It was an extremely unpopular car in the 50's and 60's and were usually crushed at junkyards years later where as the 57 Chevy, 57 Tbird, and 59 Caddys were the popular cars, that everyone bought up and wanted to restore.

Then in 1983 with the release of the move Christine, there was suddenly a high demand for 57/58 Plymouths. If not for Christine, they too would have been forgotten about and left in junkyards to rot away.

The moral of the story is never say never, anythings possible.;)

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
the MN12- Mid Size 12 program was a complete failure. it was designed to be used in touring racing but turned out to be a complete piece of crap. heavy and week. now you know why the IRS.

·
Super Moderator
17,159 Posts
they werent designed to be race cars, they were trying to compete with the big german coupes like the 635 bmw.

heavy and weak huh? the mn12 is stronger structurally than ANY fox car stock to stock. the sla front and rear suspensions are still the standard for any respectable performance car today.
in terms of weight the new mustang in gt form is pushing 3600 lbs and the gt500's are 3800+lbs. and guess what? the new mustang suspensions still suck, mcpherson crap and a live axle, yet they weigh almost the same as an mn12:rolleyes:

just remember, if ford would have shortened the wheelbase and slapped a pony logo on them, it would be a totally different story. lack of power, marketing and changing trends is what made them fail. the chassis had great potential.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
just remember, if ford would have shortened the wheelbase and slapped a pony logo on them, it would be a totally different story. lack of power, marketing and changing trends is what made them fail. the chassis had great potential.

Agreed, it had a lot of potential but Ford screwed the pooch like always.

These cars are only classics to people on this forum I am sorry to say, kind of like how valued 4 door cars from the 60's and 70's are considered today. When you can get as much from the scrap metal place as the junkyard it tells you what other people feel the worth is.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
someone needs to make a movie about a posessed mn12, its not far from the truth :D
Meh, that would just be a documentry. :uppoint: These cars do have a lot of potential, but will probably never be a classic.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
regardless if these cars ever become a classis or not is debatable but one fact remains.

the 89 sc is a legend... it was motor trends car of the year and had a major impact on the vehicle industry in regard to blowers. The supercoupe is and will always be a highly regarded vehicle in ford's history.

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
regardless if these cars ever become a classis or not is debatable but one fact remains.

the 89 sc is a legend... it was motor trends car of the year and had a major impact on the vehicle industry in regard to blowers. The supercoupe is and will always be a highly regarded vehicle in ford's history.
I thought Ford actually hated the Tbird Supercoupes because they were actually faster than their precious Mustang. Probably why they stopped making them.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
well, thats why the SVT version of the thunderbird was never produced. God for bid something be faster then a stang.

·
Registered
658 Posts
well, thats why the SVT version of the thunderbird was never produced. God for bid something be faster then a stang.
I always thought the reason there were no SVT's is because there are no 1998 Thunderbirds ? Wasn't it supposed to be a 98 ? And if they did build it would it of been faster than the 98 Mustang Cobra SVT ?

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts
It's probably why the AWD SC was never produced too. And also probably why the SC got detuned and got a very restrictive exhaust.

As for the original question, it is simply an issue of supply and demand. The MN12 is a car that had very high production numbers, and now has very few people actually wanting one. Eventually, after 99.9% of the MN12s ever made get wrecked, parted out, crushed, or otherwise destroyed, then there will be few enough of them that someone who wants one will have to pay more money for it. As it is right now, you can go pick up an MN12 for $1000 in drivable condition. As more get destroyed, there are fewer of them to go around for us enthusiasts, but also as they get older, there are fewer people looking specifically for an MN12, so in order for the price to go up substantially, enough of them need to get destroyed that someone who wants one won't be able to drive around town for 30 minutes and see 3 of them sitting in people's driveways. For that to happen, its going to take quite a while, since I believe there were over 100,000 cars produced each year for 8 model years.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts