TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys need your help .

I looked for Mercon V today at Autozone ,Wal Mart , and Pepboys .

None had a a good selecion of ATF .

They only had Mobil 1 Synthetic multi-vehicle formula at 7.99 a qrt .

Is it ok to go with Mobil 1 ? It says Dexron/Mercon and Mercon v and approved for
H specification .

Also how many qrts do I need ?

Thanks

·
8,239 Posts
as far as I know, the Mobil1 does not meet Mercon V spec.

Autozone and pep boys both have Mercon V, it will say Mercon V on the front of the bottle.

It should be about 3 bucks a quart.

Need 12-13.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm pretty sure the new formulations of Mobil do meet the specs, but you will need to look at the bottle to be sure... I ran into this same situation when I went to put Mobil 1 I have sitting in my garage into my car. I emailed Mobil 1 and they said look at the bottle... So check the bottle to see if it's old stock or new...
  • Dexron III, Dexron IIIE, Dexron
  • Approved for H specification, the latest GM Dexron III performance level
  • Mercon, Mercon V
  • Recommended for Allison C-4 and Caterpillar TO-2 applications
  • Recommended for Chrysler automatic transmissions

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So is it better to just go with Meron v as apposed to the multi-vehicle formula ?

Thanks

·
Registered
536 Posts
You can use Mobil I synthetic ATF. I have been using it for years. It will probably stand up better than the Motorcraft stuff.

Mitch

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'm using that with my 3200 stall tq and I think it works great, no problems so far.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Once a year? Do you change filter at the same time as well?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I have to go to 2 or 3 places to get 12-13 quarts of Mercon V of matching manufacturer for each of my 4r70w cars. I like to be able to find 13 quarts of Castrol, but the last two times I have had to use AAMCO. I don't remember who makes it, I think Exxon.

I change mine once a year, every 20k miles, in the Grand Marquis, along with the filter.

I don't put many miles on the 97, only around 11k a year, so every other year for it. The 89 gets Mercon whenever something happens that requires a fluid change, usually the two small sections of soft tranny line near the radiator bursting or rotting from the heat. I can't find the Motorcraft memo on stopping from licensing Mercon to aftermarket, I assume the 89 will be off the road before that happens, or I will go to a universal oil. I still don't know what that means for the 4R100 crowd.

That would get expensive, 8 bucks a quart at 13 quarts, but a new tranny is a little bit more, and a lot of work. I am debating on if I want to go with it next fluid change for the 97 Cougar, 110 bucks in fluid over three years isn't a big deal, 110 bucks a year is.

But I go the other way in the engine oil department since it isn't a big price difference, the 00 Grand Marquis (I bring it up because it has the same basic engine/tranny combo, nearly the same weight, etc) gets the extended oil (15k miles) so I have one oil change a year (and one add up quart of oil), but the Cougar gets the regular 5k stuff, or Motorcraft semi synth when I can get it for 2.25 a quart (at Wal-Mart very infrequently for 5w30, usually only have 5w20).

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No one needs a case of Motorcraft MerconV ( bid is at 14.99)?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts