TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a weird thing happen to me a couple weeks ago. I had an '03 cobra motor given to me by my uncle in his will. so heres the question....

I have an 85 t-bird with no motor and an 87 cougar that doesn't run. is it possible to fit the 4.6 dohc with a sc under the hood? or has anybody done a mod motor in a fox body before that i can talk to?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Thats a wonderful bequest....Only its a lotta xtra work and cost to put it into a early fox not allready wired up for a modular. would be neat in a newer car like a 95-97 T-Bird , or a sleeper sn95 v-6 swap , or Gt, as you would have lower Ins premiums and a wicked motor... probably the cheapest most inconspicious would be the T-Bird, but hey! we are not partial here...Good luck

·
Registered
513 Posts
do a search on the modular depot forums, there was a thread about it and it will give you all the info and links you will need, it is possible though i do know that, it is becoming more and more popular but still very uncomon to see around, that would be one awsome car though

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
yo

Obviously this is a N/A 4v in a Fox Mustang, but the idea remains the same. I am not sure if the Eaton will clear the hood, so measurements would need to be made.
You would need to do all the wiring and all of that jazz. A lot of work, yes. A lot of satisfaction? You betcha!

Good luck finding a home for that engine.

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
my friend dropped a 99 cobra motor in his 96 mustang GT... people always ask if it is stock...me and my friend will just laugh the only way it doesnt look or appear like a gt is its loud *** exhaust...offroad h pipe, origional 40 flows, and turndowns.. :D

then we tell them it has a cobra motor...and people get all confused

but yea gt wheels, gt badging, gt bumber, all is stock except for under the hood

so do someting that will puzzle people

P.S. A supercharger is in the works for his mustang right now

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i'm definitly going for a sleeper look.
i kinda think the sc wont clear the hood but i'll deal with it when its time

this swap definitly looks like it is growing in popularity on modulardepot.com

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hey, Guy! If I managed to stuff a 428SCJ into a '79 Mustang Fox body, what you're attempting to do is a breeze.I love sleepers!
Sideoiler

i]Originally posted by Dookie [/i]
I've had a weird thing happen to me a couple weeks ago. I had an '03 cobra motor given to me by my uncle in his will. so heres the question....

I have an 85 t-bird with no motor and an 87 cougar that doesn't run. is it possible to fit the 4.6 dohc with a sc under the hood? or has anybody done a mod motor in a fox body before that i can talk to?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Sideoiler said:
Hey, Guy! If I managed to stuff a 428SCJ into a '79 Mustang Fox body, what you're attempting to do is a breeze.I love sleepers!
Sideoiler
Actually...If I'm not mistaken, the 4.6L DOHC is actually dimentionally bigger than the big blocks of the day.

·
Registered
793 Posts
You may be right. But no more than an inch. When I was running the 428SCJ there were other guys that were running the 4.6 DOHC in early Mustang Fox bodies. Either way, it's lotsa fun figuring out motor mounts, headers, etc. The 428 is wider than the 429 and presents a major pita trying to find valve covers and headers for it. I ran the early Lemans covers and still had to use a torque chain the keep the valve cover from going through the power brake booster. And thankfully I had a good friend that makes custom headers because no way in hell could any stock headers come close to fitting in that close of a space. Ah, those were the days!
Sideoiler
Mod Motor Cat said:

Actually...If I'm not mistaken, the 4.6L DOHC is actually dimentionally bigger than the big blocks of the day.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I believe the original post was relative to installation into an '85 Bird. This could easily be done running the aforementioned SC, albeit not a 671 blower or the likes. However, he sure could run a low profile Paxton blower and maintain hood clearance if he used an aftermarket high riser hood. Check this out: http://www.angelfire.com/pa4/paddybear2001/Bill/1985pic2.jpg BTW/ that Bird ran the fastest ever Daytona race. Tubular chasis, yes, but I've seen lots of street legal '85 Birds running blown mountain motors.
Sideoiler

GreenBird said:
Looks like a better fit in the fox than in the sn95.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Put it in your Blazer! :headbang:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Check out this fox body bird with a mod motor. link

It can be done and with great results.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I've seen this car up close and personal. It's a 10 in every respect and has an exhaust sound like nothing I've heard before (not too loud, just different).
Sideoiler

Matt C said:
Check out this fox body bird with a mod motor. link

It can be done and with great results.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
get a 95 thunderbird lx, bam, just a plain dohc swap and some tranny beefing, you got a sleeper and a half, ive seen a 4.6 in a fox body mustang so i assume its doable, anything is doable its just how much you want to spend, time and money wise

or you could sell the thing for 12 grand, cash is always good, and ebay is your friend

·
Registered
513 Posts
yea for a much easier transition with the engine get a 94-97 tbird/cougar and drop it in there and if you want it to be a sleeper use the stock exhaust, it will cut down on a power but you will have plenty and it will be crazy fast, and quiet.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
stock exahsut, naw, run dynomax mufflers and a resonator of your choice, keeping the flow up and the sound down, high flow kitties and kooks (the only header worth bolting on that isnt a stock exhaust manifold)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts