TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the progress to modify a Navigator 5.4 litre DOHC engine, and need a little help with some information.

What size is the standard fuel injectors on this, and how many ponies can they feed?

Since I don't have any fuel pump & air flow meter yet, I'm wondering if the standard would be sufficient to handle up to 450 hp, or if I have to uprate it?

After discussing with Dennis Reinhart, I will rewire the engine to a '98 Cobra EEC and have him make me a chip for it. To do this I need more information, and I really hope some of you can help me.

I know it's a lot of you with modified 4.6's who could know the answer to this. Please help.

Doc.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So you have the 300hp Intech DOHC 5.4? First off what type of car are you planning on putting the motor into? Supply as much detail as you can on what you are planning to modify on the engine itself, then you can get some info or suggestions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, so you want the long version....
Here goes:

Yes, it's the Intech engine. And it's going into a German Ford Granada, together with a T45 (to begin with) and an 8.8" rear.
Modifications: New intake (similar to the 5.4 Cobra R), ported heads (by professional),slightly higher compression, lightweight valves (bigger exhaust valves), specially fabricated long tube headers, forged (or hypereutectic) pistons, new rods, new camshafts (type 5.4 Cobra R or similar...haven't decided yet). Crank ??? Everything is to be balanced of course. Did I mention no EGR, no cats, dual 2.5" exhaust with X-pipe and low restriction muffler.

This is roughly what I have planned...for now. The stage 2 plans is developing, but first I will finish Stage 1. To be on the safe side, I want to be able to get 450 hp out of the fuel injection.
My calculations tells me I need about 35lbs/hr (370 cc/min) injectors (80% duty cycle). But how big is what I have???
When it comes to standard fuel pump & mass air meter, I don't know their sizes either.
I'm considering '00 Cobra R injectors & MAF.

But then I'm not sure if the '98 Cobra EEC with a chip is a good solution......
Many questions, but few answers.

The best thing would be to win at the lottery and buy a Cobra R!! And supercharge it!!!!! :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
From what I have been able to check out, it looks like that engine came stock with 24lb injectors. I would think at least a 190lph fuel pump and an 80mm Lightning MAF since you are staying normally aspirated it seems. As far as upgrading the injectors I really don't know what would be best for your application. Maybe someone else can offer insight. You will definitely need a good EEC-V program to run all you have planned. to match your MAF and your injectors(if you change sizes), plus the elimination of EGR and cats and o2 sensors, you will definitely need a custom EEC-V flash or chip. What you are attempting is beyond me, but you might try this site here:www.mtcforum.com
Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts