TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, If everything goes as planned, I'll be getting a set of ssautochrome headers (jba's). I know about the craking and all, but I was wondering witch tube(s) are the ones that crack. I remeber someone posted a while back that they were going to have some extra weld put in where they crack. I was thinking of doing that too. I'd rather have the Kooks, but I can get these ones for about $100. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you do anything to them? Were they hard to put on? That's great yours are goin good.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I installed them while doing an engine swap, so it was easy. I didn't make any changes to them, but I didn't use the mounting hardware (bolts) that came with them. They are too short and you will strip the threads in the head if you try to use them. I used the stock studs and nuts from the old exhaust manifolds.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think having headers will make it sound any different?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hard to say. I installed duals with x-pipe, and removed the CATs so any sound changes due to the headers would be hard to isolate.

·
8,239 Posts
97Tibirdman said:
Do you think having headers will make it sound any different?
I'm going to say no for two reasons. These shorty headers are basically glorified factory exhaust manifolds at best. Number two is that if your configuration is stock than you have 3 cats and 2 mufflers to muffle the sound.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with that. I have the ssauto chrome headers on my cat, stock 3 cats then a flowmaster cat back. There is a noticable difference in the volume that comes from the engine bay area, not from the rear. It is a little louder, but nothing too loud. Sometimes there sounds like an exhaust leak, but its not...I'm not sure what it is. It was discussed b/f somewhere.

As for difficulty installing them, giver yourself about 2 days on and off to get them in. They were a PITA on my car. Just have a bit of paitience and it will be fine.

Joe

·
Registered
803 Posts
Tube headers/manifolds can be noisier. Valve noise and all can resonate more in the thin tubing. Clatter and all that stuff.

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
RichardM said:
Tube headers/manifolds can be noisier. Valve noise and all can resonate more in the thin tubing. Clatter and all that stuff.
Tell me about it. I hate the interior noise I get with my headers.....I'm almost considering putting the stock manifolds back on because of it :mad:

97Tibirdman, this is what I welded to mine:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Those headers look like they should be strong, Aaron. Have you already installed them?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, Aaron K. Did you just get them welded on that one side?

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
I added a total of 3 pieces of metal to only the passenger side header since its the problem header. I added a piece to each side of the flange and one towards the end of the collector.

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
The headers make it noisier, but you mostly hear the intake when you're driving. At least I do. I think it sounds good, not annoying or loud or anything. Sounds nice.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had to pieces of metal welded on mine today, a piece in the middle of the flange and one on the collecter pretty much like Aaron K, so they probably won't crack now. Can't wait to get them on! Do you guys think i'll see much of a gain if i have these headers, dual 2.5' pipe, and a magnaflow dual in dual out muffler in the center of the car (where the 3rd cat used to be)?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
What type of welder did you guys use? How thick is the metal that the headers are made from. I have a friend who is pretty good with a welder, but he was unsure about how hard it would be to weld on those headers.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The guy that did it for me used a wire feed welder, and I think that would be the best thing to use

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
4 years after documenting the cracks and people are still wasting money on these headers? Not only that but no fix, just keep pumping the same crap out the door as long as people are stupid enough to keep buying them. They are total garbage. Not only do they crack, they don't make any power either.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, for $100 their worth a try, and don't call me stupid, how I spend my ****in money is my own business, ok. Maybe I don't have 700 frickin dollars to spend on headers.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts